What is this BR MK1 Coach?

westernviscount

• RMweb Premium

I think it's mentioned in Parkin that there were cases of the glass falling out due to not being cut to the exact size needed i.e. it needs to be much closer to the aperture size, with little room for error.

There's more tolerance in size when using the traditional frames.

• Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, keefer said:

I think it's mentioned in Parkin that there were cases of the glass falling out due to not being cut to the exact size needed i.e. it needs to be much closer to the aperture size, with little room for error.

There's more tolerance in size when using the traditional frames.

I wish I had that book!!!

45 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Thanks. Unlikely to get hold of it for less than £100 no doubt. 

They come up quite frequently.

However get the Supplement if you can, that has a lot of information in it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Railways-Mark-Coaches-Supplement/dp/0902835181/ref=pd_sbs_2/257-1436806-1065121?pd_rd_w=O8UT5&pf_rd_p=69ff3c7a-27c9-438b-8fad-f012e06e34d0&pf_rd_r=9PCQ3ZN0AFWE1JSRV9YM&pd_rd_r=6cdfcd12-8900-4ba9-9eec-51f22f3c54ef&pd_rd_wg=sixUY&pd_rd_i=0902835181&psc=1

• Thanks 1

When I mentioned the glazing to the C&W Dept. on the KESR they had to get special dispensation from the safety organisation. the galzing is a standard used on buses and coaches and ok for normal road use, but the pressures on rail use are different, especially with passing speeds of up to 200mph (with 2 trains approaching each other doing 100mph). I've had Plaxton coach side windows fall out at much lower speeds due to the  bad fit or worn window rubber.

As the KESR is unlikey to pass at 200moh closing speeds it was deemed suitable for 25 mph operations!

On 04/09/2021 at 14:51, Wickham Green too said:

Why pay £9.99 for the supplement ...... that IS still in print :: https://hmrs.org.uk/british-railways-mark-1-coaches-supplement.html

Thanks for the heads-up WGtoo - I have the big one (not boasting......:D) but not the tiddler! Thought they'd be long gone by now, never occurred to me to spend a few minutes checking on't interweb........

1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

Thanks for the heads-up WGtoo - I have the big one (not boasting......:D) but not the tiddler! Thought they'd be long gone by now, never occurred to me to spend a few minutes checking on't interweb........

I also got a very nice, neat handwritten thank you note inside mine, a very Victorian and very welcome touch! Top work HMRS. 

Regards

Guy

• 1 month later...
On 03/09/2021 at 19:33, westernviscount said:

I was watching a youtube vid about the Brush Type 2 construction and happened across this coach. I have never seen windows on a mk1 like this (admittedly my knowledge is limited) 

Are they common? Did they last? Have they been modelled? 

Screenshot_20210903-192817_YouTube.jpg.6c8e4b05ae6c41c9561fc66ac736656b.jpg

Hornby do the Mk1 BSO, one of their more recent main range releases, although with the standard Mk1 style van windows

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/09/2021 at 21:26, Wickham Green too said:

Looking through the Mk1 BSOs on the Carriage Survey I can only see one with these windows ( maybe others at the 'wrong' end ) ........ and yes, that's "Petros" and yes the B.R. number of that was E9254 ! { During accessibility conversion, the K.E.S.R. seem to have swapped some of the doors and windows around.)

The original Petros conversion was actually done at Stewart's Lane I believe. First time a disabled toilet was fitted to a railway carriage in the UK.

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have just bashed a BSO from some Tri-ang bits and I am making it one of this batch. I cannot find a photo that shows the toilet window, did that have rubber grommets or was that a standard fitting? 

Clive, here is the link to the youtube vid I screenshot above. The coach in question passes at 15mins 45 seconds. As far as I can see the single window at the passenger end of the coach looks conventional and I assume the toilet is on the other side and also conventional. Just a guess really!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Clive, here is the link to the youtube vid I screenshot above. The coach in question passes at 15mins 45 seconds. As far as I can see the single window at the passenger end of the coach looks conventional and I assume the toilet is on the other side and also conventional. Just a guess really!! 

Thank you Westernviscount

By the looks of things the loo window is a normal one. As for the one opposite the loo I will have to remove the fillets I glued on two days ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thank you Westernviscount

By the looks of things the loo window is a normal one. As for the one opposite the loo I will have to remove the fillets I glued on two days ago.

In the video Clive, is the window on the camera side at the end next to the door the toilet?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

In the video Clive, is the window on the camera side at the end next to the door the toilet?

That is the window I am on about. Like you I think the loo window must be standard.  I will photograph my model and post it on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, westernviscount said:

It is just a plain window in the vestibule area, the toilet is on the other side. Most Mk1 coaches had a plain panel here, IIRC the FO was the only other type that had these windows

• Like 1