ANE Model LD101 Dual Controller

harryw2806

Has anyone else bought one of these LD101 DC/DCC controllers available through DMG Electech?

The first one arrived quickly (next day!) but was found to have a damaged LED display. A quick phone call resulted in a replacement hand controller being sent out, arriving, again, next day.

The new controller shows random numbers when turning the rotary control rather than a steady progression, whether it's in speed mode, loco selection mode or accessory selection mode in Dc or DCC even with nothing connected. No point in trying to program anything in DCC......  

Obviously faulty again, but just wondered if anyone else has experience of these new products/ suppliers ?

Saw a chap demoing this at a show, and it was an excellent way to convince me I won't consider one.

He kept getting locos mixed up and was using DCC on DC and wondering why DCC locos would always run when he was using DC - he was trying to show people that the 2 systems couldn't be mixed up and did an excellent job if showing how easy it was to mix them up using a single controller for both DC and DCC.

IMHO a separate track with separate controller for DC and DCC is a much simpler and very much cheaper way to operate.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, harryw2806 said:

Thanks Colin. What are you using on layouts, please?

Harry

My 00 layout is DCC and uses a NCE powerpro (up to four handsets in use at a time).

0-16.5 layout is analog and uses a Gaugemaster combi.

G scale uses the original LGB MTS system

Plus a HO scale narrow Gauge uses Bush feldbahn equipment and runs on batteries with a on/off switch.

I used to have a early ZTC controller for my test track which can be switched between DC and DCC, it works really well, but only has functions 0 to 9.  On my test track I check and run in new locos on DC, when they are weathered and DCC sound fitted I switch the controller to DCC and test them again.

I got the ANE controller as it has the ability to switch between DC and DCC easily (which I have done) and it is considerably smaller on my congested workbench. It does what I need it to do.  However it is a bit clunky to use on DCC and while it would be fine for a small simple layout (like my 0-16.5 one) I wouldn’t consider using it on my main layout (which has up to four operators at a time).

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply, I have never used Dcc and it would only be used for max 3 locos with only one running at a time, so something very basic and sub £140 which could be used as a handheld controller is my requirement. As the LD101 DC/DCC controller has now been on the market for a few months now, I thought that more people would have brought it or tried it out. I am in no rush to buy anything but just wanted some opinions on simple budget controllers. All the best Adrian.

Edited by westerhamstation

• RMweb Premium

I suggest you have a look at one of these from Bachmann, often comes as part of a digital starter set.  While it is very limited in the number of locos and number of functions it can operate, it might meet your needs, should be cheap too.  I ran my fairly complex end to end layout with one (including sound locos) successfully at a two day exhibition.

image.jpeg.4095475094a1d2223de5c8fd02fa6ead.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...