Champion Products of Birmingham

Canal Digger

• 10 months later...

A larger US F7 style loco with possibly working headlight from Champion Products and spoked driving wheels?? Please does anyone recognise this motor assembly? Are these wiper pickups to pick up from driving wheels or not even part of this model? The phosphor bronze strip on the front bogie appears to be there for springing only? The rear axle is insulated from it. I'm about to try the motor to see what happens

20220705_180821.jpg

20220705_180834.jpg

20220705_180853.jpg

20220705_181921.jpg

20220705_181933.jpg

• Like 1

It's not something I've ever seen before, but I'd start with a low voltage (say 3V) and work upwards, but first it could do with a service. The phosphor bronze bits look like contact strips - possibly onto the rails rather than the wheels?

There were several obscure products back in the fifties e.g. the Ever Ready underground set (This used the enormously expensive 6V bell battery*). The same puny motor powered (if that's the right word) the Palitoy S gauge sets (or at least it would power the Prairie tank I have, if it were not defunct), There was also a small 00 range (by Mettoy IIRC) in tinplate. In 0 gauge again Mettoy and Chad Valley. Neither was compatible with Hornby as they were considerably smaller. There must have been others

* It would have lasted ages powering a door bell, but it soon expired with a train. Dublo claimed nine hours with three of the 4.5V variety. Maybe on a good day! At 3/3d (IIRC) each it made for expensive running. Again IIRC the 6V ones were 4/6d. These are still available at several pounds a shot.