Hornby P2 Cock O The North. Improving the Railroad version.

• RMweb Gold

Gday all! Having run out of some materials for my base boards and not being able to technically go and get more stuff due to lock down I went into another little side project.
I picked up the P2 on sale from one of the local Hobby stores a year ago. I wanted to hop onto the Bugatti nose conversion or fictional non streamlined bandwagon for a nice little project. Having picked up the new and lovely A2/2 I wanted to practice some techniques on improving the factory paintwork. I used the P2 for the trial.

I am not much into the flat paint phenomenon. I just wanted to share what can be done using nothing more than some cotton swabs, a little bit of polish and a dark wash. I focused the polish on the centre of the larger areas so that a wash could stick to the edges and also this gives the viewer that cleanish but not so new look which I like a lot. Vary the polish so that you leave some flat areas like the lower areas and the corners and those areas will look dusty and the wash will stick to this as well. It is a non uniform finish that catches the light in some areas. This sheen effect looks really cool moving around the train set. After I was satisfied with that I used a dark wash and tidied that up with a cotton swab and solvent. 

In the first two pics I try to show how it started. Flat and weird looking. You get the feeling like youre holding something meaty and expensive rather and plasticky and cheap.

Haven't done this yet but will also get out the paint and pick out the details and cant wait to get to the cab area.

Hope you like it, Cheers!

Ben

PXL_20210905_035446970.jpg

PXL_20210905_005257418.jpg

PXL_20210905_005946773.jpg

PXL_20210905_011023528.jpg

PXL_20210905_021104556.jpg

PXL_20210905_035438624.jpg

PXL_20210905_035416661.jpg

Edited by Captain_Mumbles
  • Like 5

• Captain_Mumbles changed the title to Hornby P2 Cock O The North. Improving the Railroad version.