Aberkeld Jcn-Highland Mainline in the early 1990s N Gauge Code 40 Finescale

JBM37404

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have decided after mixed results not to pursue sound in N any further, chips are getting offered for sale and back to normal DCC. Felt it was stressing me a little and couldn't get the time needed to fit and the results I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Good luck and probably wise give speaker size, I use my memory to insert sounds in my mind - but of course being old the memory sound files are quite large!   

Same here, grew up in the 80s and 90s so plenty of decent memories. Ultimately DCC sound although it's coming along well it's still the same recordings so a fleet of locos will all sound identical. 37s all sound different to my ears based on how knackered they are and under what load etc. Even in the larger scales I'm still not convinced despite it being the in thing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

Same here, grew up in the 80s and 90s so plenty of decent memories. Ultimately DCC sound although it's coming along well it's still the same recordings so a fleet of locos will all sound identical. 37s all sound different to my ears based on how knackered they are and under what load etc. Even in the larger scales I'm still not convinced despite it being the in thing.

I think that the sounds, good though they are, can't recreate the effect of load. A light loco will romp away on full throttle, but a heavy freight needs to crawl away making alot of noise. I know the speed steps can be tweaked, but that would need doing differently for both cases.

I would love to recreate somewhere like Didcot in the 70-80s, but I don't think there is enough space even in N to get both the full chat of Valenta powered HSTs on departure of the stoppers and also get the 125mph non-stop passing through effect too...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've also dabbled a little with sound (though not in N) and came to similar conclusions that it didn't enthrall me like I had hoped ... what could be nicer than listening to a Class 25 idling away in the background, thought I ... in reality it just annoyed me as it spoilt the nice peaceful ambience of my modelling room !

I may give it another go sometime in an '0' gauge shunter for a 'small' shunting layout that I hope to build one day but won't be bothering on my WHL N gauge layout.

Best wishes,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I think that the sounds, good though they are, can't recreate the effect of load. A light loco will romp away on full throttle, but a heavy freight needs to crawl away making alot of noise. I know the speed steps can be tweaked, but that would need doing differently for both cases.

I would love to recreate somewhere like Didcot in the 70-80s, but I don't think there is enough space even in N to get both the full chat of Valenta powered HSTs on departure of the stoppers and also get the 125mph non-stop passing through effect too...

The majority of sound layouts I see at shows are TMD style ones, which can have a bit of life with sounds or a bit of to much of it with a large number of locos. I enjoy weathering and doing scenics a lot more and as the gambling industry says when the fun stops. Sound fitting felt like it was taking over.....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

Angus ponders his future as the type 2 waits some troublesome trucks to shunt.

20231121_164433.jpg

"To chew .... or not to chew, chew ?"

Edited by 03060
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Nice, but I feel they may be still suffering the after effects of Hogmanay......

Indeed, whatever I do with them they upload inverted. Have tried to edit and reupload but no joy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 158 looks the part, have you tried coupling the outer ends or two a 156.  Mine runs ok but not match 156 speeds, for paired workings which would have been fun. 

I turned saloon lights off as the tinted windows dull it down in real life.  Even after dark and with new lamps model is a tad bright for me.  

34 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

The 158 looks the part, have you tried coupling the outer ends or two a 156.  Mine runs ok but not match 156 speeds, for paired workings which would have been fun. 

I turned saloon lights off as the tinted windows dull it down in real life.  Even after dark and with new lamps model is a tad bright for me.  

I couldn't get the couplings to  match but haven't tried too hard, would think the speed settings would need matching. The Farish 158 definitely has a low speed on full power which I think is down to the motor being quite a small device.

Edited by JBM37404
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...