Bradford Interchange (BR Sectorisation era) on an IKEA unit

jonhinds

Trying to resist the urge to post too many photos until the layout is looking a bit more ‘finished’, but quite pleased with this iPhone shot of a Ped on parcels service. This will eventually be sent to Mercig Studios to be converted into a 31/4.

DB1E7CCC-1CD1-4841-9B53-76AFF7FBB0B7.jpeg.069f55c003c57a7886c7bbbb2b1b8410.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, kryten65 said:

Crossley Evans is on the other side of Bradford, 

5240432329_c014a81ba7.jpgBradford by Dan, on Flickr

this one is in Laisterdyke and was sporadic to say the least

Oops, sorry. My limited knowledge of the area is a dangerous thing!

I have quite a few books of Railfreight in the 1980s, and Laisterdyke does not seem to feature in any of them,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

There was an article on modelling Bradford Interchange (which the article called "Bradford Exchange") back in the 1980s in Practical Model Railways (so current practice at the time—pre-Sprinter, with 110s on the Calder Valley services). It did give details of the then-current services including "dated" ones. It was the May 1984 issue.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/09/2021 at 11:29, kryten65 said:

That is spot on, I spent 8 years there in early 90's as shunter and station supervisor, 

That little shed on the left was where the Royal Mail kept the little tow tractor and the shed in the arch way was ours for storage of various nasties.

I remember the commotion in York when it was discovered that your 'various nasties' included so much petrol we should have had a petroleum storage licence !  I also remember (a few years later) trekking over there for the SM's team meeting to discover it was being held in The Kashmir. 

Looks good so far :-)

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 28/09/2021 at 17:05, Jonb82 said:

The scrap yard at Laisterdyke was European metal recycling accessed via Mcintyres sidings

I think Laisterdyke scrapyard still had paths a couple of years ago, but I don't think a scrap train has run for a long time to the sidings.

5 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I think Laisterdyke scrapyard still had paths a couple of years ago, but I don't think a scrap train has run for a long time to the sidings.

I agree! It’s massively overgrown now, in fact in 15 years of driving past it I’ve never seen anything use the sidings haha

9 minutes ago, Jonb82 said:

I agree! It’s massively overgrown now, in fact in 15 years of driving past it I’ve never seen anything use the sidings haha

I wonder if it's tied up with the fact Crossleys doesn't get trains now? I know in BR days both yards could be tripped as part of the same diagram, though I think towards the end CE just had block trains to Cardiff Tidal. It's probably just another case where it's cheaper to use lorries...

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There was an article on modelling Bradford Interchange (which the article called "Bradford Exchange") back in the 1980s in Practical Model Railways (so current practice at the time—pre-Sprinter, with 110s on the Calder Valley services). It did give details of the then-current services including "dated" ones. It was the May 1984 issue.

Is this the issue?

https://www.railmags.org/index.php?id_product=7031&rewrite=pmr-1984-may&controller=product

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 29/09/2021 at 21:35, jonhinds said:

Yes, that's the one all right.

Just to add that the article is by David Ratcliffe, a regular writer on modern traction subjects.

There was a photo feature on Bradford within the last couple of years in BRM, though I assume you may already be aware of it…

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2021 at 17:16, D9020 Nimbus said:

There was a photo feature on Bradford within the last couple of years in BRM, though I assume you may already be aware of it…

Ah, wasn’t aware of that. Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Nothing new to report on the layout, however the 47 has returned from Mercig Studios. I went for the works, including the fine etched handrails and roof fans. 

Admittedly, the cost of cab lights and detailing could’ve bought another 3 or 4 47s, but I couldn’t be happier with the single one I have!

7ECA3A37-854C-493D-A2C6-784E6EB46BFC.jpeg.5964f1641b03bd54a7b2a45ddf21f8f6.jpeg77727FC1-1C25-4669-9085-D9454FB22F73.jpeg.e5d43ec0324bced639a603d073ef3239.jpeg

• Like 3