best value supplier for large size (A3) styrene sheets for scratchbuilding?

• RMweb Gold

I use a lot of styrene sheet for my scratchbuilds, plus I have a cutting machine that can take A3 size sheets;  however, the owner of the LHS I used to get my supplies has retired.  Can anyone recommend an on-line supplier of styrene sheet, the type that can be adhered with Revell Contacta and Tamiya extra thin, that provides good value for money?

cheers,

Mike

Edited by Royal42

• RMweb Gold

It's a few years since I last got any styrene sheet, so I can't comment about the "value for money" - but it might be worth checking out architectural model suppliers.

The last time I got this stuff, I got it from 4D Model shop (modelshop.co.uk), on my way back from a show in London.

(No connection, other than as a satisfied customer.)

Incidentally, although places like 4D sell the large containers of Plastic Weld, I generally use cellulose thinner / Lidl "universal paint thinner" (or whatever the current batch is labelled as) for sticking rigid styrene together - a lot of the solvents seem very similar (and I've found the stuff works well), but it's a fraction of the price.

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Huw Griffiths said:

........ I got it from 4D Model shop (modelshop.co.uk).........

Huw.

Hi Huw,

thanks for the link. They do appear to have the type I need and at the price I would expect to pay.  Unless I hear any better recommendations, I shall probably place an order with them.

cheers,
Mike

19 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Eileen's Emporium sell large sheets. 

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the link; however, I've just checked their site but they only seem to sell sheets at the size of 220mm x 330mm, whereas the sheets from 4D Model Shop above has sheets at 660mm x 340mm which are nearer my size requirements and much better value.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Kris,

thanks for this link.  I think their size of 305mm x 660mm should fit my cutter.  I shall check those out.

I believe I have enough info to be able to source the plastic sheet I need now.  Thanks to all who responded.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1