Mk 1 Corridor Coach: Corridor Handrails. Sorted thanks.

• RMweb Premium

When repairing some pushed in windows on a perfectly good Bachman Mk 1 Corridor 1st that I got for pennies on Ebay, I realised there were no Corridor Handrails. Trying to find pics of the real thing, even in Parkin, was not helping. It seems that the Handrails were just below the Sliding Vents and Corridor MK1s (and some Buffet cars) did have them. Not really that obvious, but they are there in both Wood and Steel.

Bit of brass wire sorted that, except I think I have fitted it too low down....pah!

However, when checking pictures on line this evening, I see that some more recent (I mean within the last 20 years!) Hornby Mk1s appear to have the rails, but not Bachman.

Am I  being really short sighted? Never really noticed before, probably because I wasn't looking.  I'll have to check my original Baccy Bulleids now and yes, I know the earlier ones need a hell of a lot of improvement!

OK, this seems really nerdy, but I like my coaches to be as good in detail as Hornby Maunsells.

I'd appreciate confirmation that I am not being short sighted, but I do not need to it being confirmed that I am nerdy thanks!! :)

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

You might like to browse through the photos on the GWSR Carriage & Wagon blog, which has loads of photos of MK1 coaches, often with unusual angles since they are showing maintenance activities.

The blog is here:

https://gwsrcarriageandwagon.blogspot.com/

and examples of rails on the corridor ends include:

20210902_102626.jpg

20210902_112616.jpg

It is clear that the rails differed from one coach type to another. The blog does mention what the different types were, but you will have to hunt for this information. The blog takes comments, so you can ask a question or two.

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

and examples of rails on the corridor ends include:

I think he means the internal handrails along the corridor (passengers for the use of) - fortuitously nicely visible in your first photo, just below the bottom of the sliding ventilators.

Weren't these a standard feature of side corridor carriages from the year dot? (aka 1893, in Britain at least.)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I think he means the internal handrails along the corridor

Ah, my misunderstanding. If it's the corridor handrails that are of interest, then the same blog site probably has a lot more internal shots, including the corridor, since a lot of the fettling work is done in there.

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You see, it is difficult to actually see the internal Corridor HRs on actual Coaches, even at the GWR !

I suspect this why both Hornby and Bachman CBA to show them.

FK+13329.JPG

However, the site is very useful as is the actual Railway; thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Internal corridor handrails are a feature of all corridor stock that had fixed windows as opposed to doorways with droplights, including pre-mk1 designs, and were usually polished wooden rails set into brass end holders, fixed across the windows.  Earlier mk1 builds, those with wood panelling, followed suit, while later builds with Formica panelling featured brushed aluminium rails in matching end holders.  Handrails were also featured on dmu and emu corridor stock, and in the 'standing' areas of Buffet Cars, opposite the bar. 

The later aluminium rails were more visible from outside the coach, but the prominence of the rails from this veiwpoint depended very much on lighting and the reflections from the windows.  A photograph of a coach from ground level inevitably features fairly bright reflection from the sky with is mirrored in the windows from such an angle. 

They are an easy detail to add, along with painting of seats and compartment interiors, glazing of compartment doors and window, and fitting first class, no smoking, ladies only etc. notices.  I also cut out little rectangles of tinfoil to act as compartment mirrors, though I have yet to manage the 'BR" etched into them...

Triang and later Triang Hornby scale length 10" mk1s had the rails represented by a painted white line, which was overkill and inaccurate...  Given the asking price of Hornby and Bachmann coaches, they SBA to show them!

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough I don't think I've got any Bachmann Mark Ones apart from Sleepers and Pullmans. I had enough of the old Mainline and Lima versions which I had planned on replacing with Comet eventually. With far too many WR C/C as I read an article when I was younger saying all WR coaches were Choc/Cream....

I wasn't modelling 00 when the Bachmann version came out and when I was, I was put off by the roofs with the very prominent ribs.

Hornby seem to have the handrails on the full spec ones. Look just below the vents. I don't think that's shadow.

2021-09-07.png.9782f76f5eff4729a300b15bf2d37109.png

Photo borrowed from Hattons.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/250887/hornby_r4773_mk1_ck_composite_corridor_w16198_in_br_blue_and_grey/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

it is difficult to actually see the internal Corridor HRs

Yes, they are just below the dividers separating the ventilator sections from the fixed windows, and they are a dull dark brown and very hard to make out against the colour applied to the dividers. Looks like Hornby do a reasonable representation of them as shown in that photo Jason posted above - equally hard to see!!

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 2

Right, I finally nailed a good internal picture showing the handrails from the GWSR site:

20210812_100535.jpg

I got frustrated earlier as I discovered that they remove the handrails while doing maintenance and only re-fit them right at the end of the process, so that very few of the internal pictures show them at all. As you can see, they are very very close to the dividers in the windows.

Yours,  Mike.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Right, I finally nailed a good internal picture showing the handrails from the GWSR site:

20210812_100535.jpg

I got frustrated earlier as I discovered that they remove the handrails while doing maintenance and only re-fit them right at the end of the process, so that very few of the internal pictures show them at all. As you can see, they are very very close to the dividers in the windows.

Yours,  Mike.

Thanks Mike, that's lovely and as my vague memory seems to remember them.

Thanks also Johnster for that comprehensive info. I was aware of most of that as other older Coaches seemed to have Rails a bit lower. 

That has sorted my question; much appreciated all.

Phil

• Mallard60022 changed the title to Mk 1 Corridor Coach: Corridor Handrails. Sorted thanks.
  • RMweb Premium

Yo Duck mate

The colour of the handrails is very important.

First Class, polished wood.

Under class, weathered wood with dirty hand prints, due to the peasants having to hold on tight when over crowded and standing in the corridor from (Northern city of one's choice) to London.

• Like 1