CLEVELAND IN TEESSIDE

Deltic Man

Welcome to an exhibition layout I started in 2019 as we were asked to exhibit at Darlington show that year.  The layout would be OO gauge and would be based in a fictitious area of teeside at the time of the late 80's to 2000's.

All stock would be detailed rtr or kitbuilt weathered or resprayed.

The layout will be run by a prodigy system and the points will be DC operated

It measures about 16 ft and has a small storage yard while using the german product of trainsafe.

The layout has a small shed, goods yard, scrap area and a small engineers area 

The topic shows the build up to first exhibition and then I will show modifications learnt and change up to today.

• Like 3

Wiring

This is completed for DCC the elusive 2 wire system not!.  I ran a bus wire across all boards and attach droppers via spade and locks to ensure connectivity. All the point motors are peco for reliability and all have micro switches on as all points are electrofrog

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-11 at 21.44.43.jpg

• Like 3

• Deltic Man changed the title to CLEVELAND IN TEESSIDE

@Deltic Man you forgot the full stop at the end of your sentence! :jester:

But the layout is looking good, I take it that it's a lot more developed now and you're going through the stages of it's development.

I've done a few trips to Teesside in my life, I can just remember Thornaby station with it's original buildings.  I didn't get a good look, it was a wet 4:00am and we were off to the shed, somehow my dad managed to get the sympathy of the shed superintendent as we got a guided tour at 4:30am during a shift change.

Next in the 80s and 90s for work and saw the station reduced to a bus shelter and eventually begin to get some buildings again, pity by then the freight traffic was dwindling.

• Like 1

@woodenhead yes its moved on which I plan to show and then ive been invited back to the show this year so working on more improvements.  I didn't post as i built it main due to time and then covid happened so forgot tbh

I work opposite Thornaby station so see the class 66 and 60's passing from my office every day no Thornaby shed now which is sad as you say wished I worked here in the 80's and 90's wouldn't get much done as I would have been staring out of the window all of the time.

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Like 2

Hi 

The depot/engineer's area looks great. Not so sure about the tunnel entrance, the steel girder says bridge but the landscaping says tunnel. Perhaps a simple cutting with a footbridge to hide the entrance to the storage sidings would look better.

Regards 

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 08/09/2021 at 06:58, stivesnick said:

Hi 

The depot/engineer's area looks great. Not so sure about the tunnel entrance, the steel girder says bridge but the landscaping says tunnel. Perhaps a simple cutting with a footbridge to hide the entrance to the storage sidings would look better.

Regards 

Nick 

Hi Nick

Thats a fair point I will look at that after the next exhibition not enough time at the moment.

Nik

On 08/09/2021 at 10:36, ColinK said:

You mentioned Trainsafe - where do you get yours from, I use them too and need some more.

Yes I use it for all my layouts I used to buy direct but now since brexit it is 600 euros on postage and they wont budge so not bought any since then.  Not their fault by the way.

Edited by Deltic Man
  • Thanks 1

Some of the previous pictures were from the Darlington show first time round and also when it was setup at home.

The one thing I found whilst showing was the lack of space for spare locos as I am always keen on rotating these to give variety, this is something I will look at in the future

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

• Like 6

• 1 month later...