Track Lengths

Hi All,

I've tried to find out what the sectional track lengths were in steam days.  I just want to cut up a few old length of track and scatter them beside the rail to add a bit of interest, any ideas.

Best Rgds,

Dave R.

Australia

60 feet eventually became the standard in the UK, but other shorter lengths had been in use in earlier times. This article gives a good historical overview:

https://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/2-track/02track1.htm

Nowadays, with the advent of continuously welded rail, the lengths of old rail scattered along UK tracks are pretty random and can be quite long. One thing is that such abandoned old rail turns up pretty well everywhere on the network, so you are right to consider modelling it!

Yours,  Mike.

If we are talking about 00 gauge C&L new flexitrack not only has thicker sleepers to match Peco/ Finetrax etc, but they are in 60' track panels with 12" sleepers at both ends, shorter lengths can be made up by reducing the number of sleepers per panel. They can also be obtained in single line or main line formats ( keys alternating or all going the same way)

C&L hare about to receive test shots of new EM & P4 flexi tracks which are much the same as the 00 track, eg 60' panels and thick (1.6mm) sleepers, hopefully will be available later in the year

• RMweb Gold

CWR gives an extremely good level of comfort for travelling customers and staff, but ....

am I becoming too nostalgic by admitting I actually miss the rythmic rocking (careful here!) and sounds of the “old” railway.

Rose-coloureds, yeah-yeah, but to me, the motion imparted an almost soothing effect compared to the dull, soundless environment of modern rail travel. Admittedly, the speeds were lower, had to be else we’d be off the road over those old alignments.  Sprung cushioned upholstery, a gentle swaying over the joints and the heads would soon be nodding. Of course it could be far less than enticing for the suburban commuter as he or she struggled for balance in an overcrowded SUB or EPB as it cluttered around the chimney pots.

(Mods: Perhaps this should be in the Prototype section)

Edited by Right Away
correction
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, Right Away, but I have to say I know where you are coming from.  It is easy to forget how bloody uncomfortable and filthy those bench seats were, and how the springs threatened your virginity, but the diddly bum and rocking was sleep inducing, and if you found an empty compartment you could stretch out and 'rest your eyes' to your heart's content.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, Right Away, but I have to say I know where you are coming from.  It is easy to forget how bloody uncomfortable and filthy those bench seats were, and how the springs threatened your virginity, but the diddly bum and rocking was sleep inducing, and if you found an empty compartment you could stretch out and 'rest your eyes' to your heart's content.

On the odd occasion I get the train to work there's a short (maybe half a mile at most) section of jointed track on the way back, and I always start to nod off on it.

Pity train seating has very much headed back in the "uncomfortable" direction. No threatening springs though - or much else between the rear end and a hard surface.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reorte said:

Pity train seating has very much headed back in the "uncomfortable" direction

Yes - the difference between the seating in the older DMUs used for the Waterloo - Exeter services and the EMUs used on the Waterloo - Weymouth runs is very noticeable. The Exeter seats are deep, soft and very well sprung, while the Weymouth seats are rather hard and not sprung at all. I'm glad that I normally don't have more than an hour on the Weymouth seats since my usual station is Winchester...

As for jointed track though - no thanks. The smooth gliding at 90/100 MPH on CWL is very nice thank you - and I have no problem dropping off very quickly. It's the tea trolleys bashing into my leg that keep me awake :wacko:

Yours,  Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I think perhaps a pertinent aspect to consider is whether odd complete track panels would normally be left at the side of track. Lengths of rail for replacing worn out ones, individual sleepers and chairs, but not full panels unless a long length was being replaced/upgraded. 

The track panels would pretty much be new ones in steam days, track panels often with Flat Bottom track and concrete sleepers came in with the Diesels in the mid 50s so were not worn out until well into the blue diesel era if not later.  The Flat Bottom track caused massive problems for the riding of locos like Royal Scots as it had so little "give"

60ft lengths of rail laid beside the track ready to lay would be more likely.  Much like the massive lengths seen nowadays.

However the sight of nearly new track panels freshly ripped up from closed branch lines stacked up at a junction or CE sidings wouldn't be unusual.   Relaying five years before closure and repainting stations six months before closure seemed to be a common occurrence.   It was the only way to make lines appear to be uneconomic so "they" could close them.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, DCB said:

The track panels would pretty much be new ones in steam days, track panels often with Flat Bottom track and concrete sleepers came in with the Diesels in the mid 50s so were not worn out until well into the blue diesel era if not later.  The Flat Bottom track caused massive problems for the riding of locos like Royal Scots as it had so little "give"

60ft lengths of rail laid beside the track ready to lay would be more likely.  Much like the massive lengths seen nowadays.

However the sight of nearly new track panels freshly ripped up from closed branch lines stacked up at a junction or CE sidings wouldn't be unusual.   Relaying five years before closure and repainting stations six months before closure seemed to be a common occurrence.   It was the only way to make lines appear to be uneconomic so "they" could close them.   

It was probably a change of policy at the top. The mid-fifties saw the great modernisation plan*, then  we had Beeching hired as hatchet man (I'll say no more..).

Relaying and then closing is typical government, "Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing".

* Always quoted as an example of government waste, but according to my calculations less than today's subsidies to 'privatised' rail companies. Of course if you modernise the railways to handle goods and then deliberately transfer the goods to the roads....