Timing load for the St. Austell Motorail combined trains

The Pilotman

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a WTT for the era when the Kensington Olympia to St. Austell Motorail ran as a combined train of passenger coaches and car flats? This would be up until the early 1980s. I’ve seen at least one picture of this train with 8 passenger coaches and 12 car flats (plus plenty of shorter formations, but I’ve yet to find any longer trains than this) so would be interested to know what the timing load for such a train would be. 
Thanks.

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

Sorry no WTTs to hand.  I suspect the trailing load was not a particular problem as the trains were limited to 75mph.  Length might have been a more serious constraint.  I might have some details somewhere in a Passenger train Loads Book but that of course won't give the Timing Load for the trains but just the tonnage and Length Limits.  I'll have a deep delve - and it will need to be deep for a Passenger Loads Book (although I know exactly where the 1927 one is ;) ).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both for your contributions. So it looks like 8 coaches + 12 car flats would be about the maximum allowed weight-wise for this train given the following “back of a fag packet” calculation:

8 coaches at approx. 35t each (280t) + 12 car flats at approx. 24t each (288t) = 568t

Of course, on top of that would be the cars, passengers and luggage: 

4 cars per car flat at approx. 1t each (48t) + 48 families and luggage at approx. 400kg per family of four (19t) = 67t

So all in all the actual train weight could be somewhere around 635t; between the trailing load of D600 provided by @anroar53 and the maximum unassisted Brush Type 4 load of 690 tons as given by @The Stationmaster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 1 May 1972 - 6 May 1973 Section A WTT shows 1V34 07:45 Kensington Olympia to St Austell as Timing Column Reference G2 but I can't find an explanation of what that means.

The 14 May 1979 - 11 May 1980 Section PA WTT shows 1V34 07:45 (public) 07:50 (WTT) Kensington Olympia to St Austell as D560.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1