Looking at the Hornby R080 class 29 D6110. Was it a 21 or 29?

mikesndbs

Looking at the Hornby R080 class 29 D6110.

I’ve had this loco since the early 80s and she runs and looks like a dream.

I’d never alter anything.

However I am aware that D6110 was never a class 29 and in fact D6110 was scrapped in 1969 as a class 21.

This was due to overheating engine etc.

So I wonder if Hornby actually intended this to be a class 21?

• RMweb Premium

Yes I never understood this myself . I think what you got was some strange amalgalm of 21 and 29 .  The front face with headcode panel suggests 29 but 6110 was a 21 . I'm afraid I dont know the other details but it seems Hornby didn't model the 21 or 29 but got some strange mixture .  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

It's Hornby's version of both in one model.  A few folk on here have done incredible jobs of detailing them to look like either a 21 or a 29 as they wanted.  If I remember correctly the side grilles are for a 21, with the front being a hybrid.  Other members here will be able to give you a more detailed response.

Try also searching on here for terms such as 'sad eyed'.

Hope that's of help.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

The twin radiator side grilles depict the Pilot Scheme locos (D6100-09) as built, but they didn't last long like that - about 2 years max, before being modified to the single square-ish grille to improve the airflow.

It appears that Hornby beefed up the cab windows corner pillars to make these more........er, impact-resistant, but it ruined the 'face' of the model. In addition to all of the other errors, the catwalks on the roof have correct gaps for the roof panel 'shut lines' to pass through, but a couple missed their targets! It may have had wire handrails but this model was a considerable disappointment compared to the Class 25 which preceded it. Lovely bogie sideframe detail though - even has 'SKF' in relief on the axleboxes (I sometimes wonder if tooling for that part was outsourced :scratch_one-s_head_mini:).

But hey, if you like yours and it runs well.........:good:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Allowing for the crudities of a 1970s model, Hornby's '29' is basically a pilot scheme Class 21 with the headcode boxes of a Class 29 on the front. The numbers and liveries were also generic - Class 21s were green as per the Hornby model but without the yellow warning panel initially, and then when it was applied (at least to those Class 21s that had not terminally expired by the mid-60s) it was a different shape to account for the fact that they still had headcode discs.  The blue livery used on R084 and R337 was only in reality carried by D6101 right at the end of its life. A few other Class 29s and a solitary Class 21 (D6109) had earlier iterations of blue livery. When the Class 21/29 was reissued by Hornby in the early 2000s the livery application was largely corrected for a Class 29 (even if the mouldings weren't) but the yellow panel of the 'blue' versions incorrectly excluded the window frames. Here's a pair of my Class 29s which have undergone quite extensive surgery to better represent the actual locos (front details and screens altered, main grille replaced, additional side 'class 29' grilles added, missing roof ports added, revised 'class 29' exhaust ports added and redundant 'class 21' port plated over...) 

IMG_20210725_115731.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1