Position of RhB Catenary posts and buildings relative to platform edge, any guidance?

Talbotjohn

Hi,

I have been looking at pictures of RhB stations trying to work out if there is a minimum recommended distance for the position of catenary posts for cross bridges on platforms relative to the track or is it the same as when the posts are on the trackbed? There seems to be a lot of variation on platforms! Similarly are there any rules for how close the front of the station building can be to the track and hence the minimum width for the platform in front of the building? 

Platforms on RhB stations are a relatively new development, even somewhere as busy as Filisur has only got them (and an underpass) in the last 20 years, so it may be there isn't much of a standard.

Before that, to change trains off a Chur bound train onto a Davos bound train at Filisur, if the StMoritz train was already in the station* you had** to climb in, cross the coach and get off again. 

*I suspect it was actually brought into the station first to avoid running the unwary passenger down

** OK, I didn't HAVE to, but usually did!

Jon

9 hours ago, Talbotjohn said:

Hi,

I have been looking at pictures of RhB stations trying to work out if there is a minimum recommended distance for the position of catenary posts for cross bridges on platforms relative to the track or is it the same as when the posts are on the trackbed? There seems to be a lot of variation on platforms! Similarly are there any rules for how close the front of the station building can be to the track and hence the minimum width for the platform in front of the building? 

There are some recent Swiss rules about platform heights but I can't recall the detail . This and the general rebuilding of Swiss stations is all connected to Swiss legislation about accessibilty, passed a few years ago. One of the things that illustrates the requirement to meet the legislation is some railway had to lash up old high floor vehicles with low floor vehicles.

I don't think there are any specific rules about posts as all stations have a slightly different geometry

Kueblis: note catenary pole squeezed in on left hand side (station rebuild could not include removing the nearby building), and  on the right hand far side a catenary post fixed to the platform canopy top. My photo Feb 2020

IMG_2861 (4).JPG

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Informative/Useful 1

There seems to be a current document from the BAV (Department for Transport) that stipulates a minimum of 1m50 of space from the security markings inwards, which may be reduced to 90cm along platform shelters, stairs and similar (on a maximum length of 10m). A general minimum of 90cm is allowed for tramways, as they are running on sight.

https://www.bav.admin.ch/dam/bav/de/dokumente/aktuell-startseite/berichte/bericht_abstaendeaufperrons.pdf.download.pdf/bericht_abstaendeaufperrons.pdf

In places where those 90cm can‘t be met, the security markings will be drawn towards the edge of the obstacle at an angle, with the space along the obstacle marked off in yellow, meaning that passengers may not wait in that area. Similar for any catenary posts that stand within those 90cm, without the yellow markings though. Hope this makes sense…!

10 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Lavin Feb 2020. A very recent major rebuild (almost unnecessarily out of keeping for a small Engadin village...) Note single post overhead catenary structures

Bit of info - this one got a priority upgrade as it was the railhead for connecting buses to Scuol for several months due to a tunnel rebuild project a little while back.

Quite impressive really!

2 hours ago, Glorious NSE said:

Bit of info - this one got a priority upgrade as it was the railhead for connecting buses to Scuol for several months due to a tunnel rebuild project a little while back.

Quite impressive really!

Indeed. Now though it smacks of complete overkill. One irony is that it now takes a long time to get to the platforms  via the new  'accessibility' arrangements  than at other simpler rebuild stations