Category Changes

Quarryscapes

• RMweb Gold

So UK site is changing to Railroad. Rude.

So many people list their items in the wrong scale I gave up searching specifics a long time ago so that doesn't overly bother me.

I see there's a category for empty boxes. Is there really that many listings that it needs its own category?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

So UK site is changing to Railroad. Rude.

Hornby gets it's own category to offload old tooling tat:D

Railroad is also far from universal in N America.

There are loads of "Railways" in the USA and Railway dominates in Canada.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That is going to make searching for a manufacturers item in a specific scale a right pain in the proverbial.  Lets face it, most sellers never bother filling in the tedious and often irrelevant specifications parts when listing their items.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

That is going to make searching for a manufacturers item in a specific scale a right pain in the proverbial.  Lets face it, most sellers never bother filling in the tedious and often irrelevant specifications parts when listing their items.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Whilst i do agree in principle as I said above, I find so many items listed in the wrong scale I haven't bothered trying to filter to that in a long time. But yes, it would be very helpful if people actually put some effort into listing and filled in at least some of the boxes...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Searching for 0 or O scale/gauge has surfaced more and more mislisted 00 as time has gone by, but this will cause complete swamping!

Hunting for vintage stuff by manufacturer will miss a lot of the most interesting, because that is often things that sellers, even quite knowledgeable ones, can't identify properly.

A slightly different but related issue. I have noticed recently that some searches default to the most likely category. For example, if I search for 'Subbuteo Cricket' it shows the items listed under that category. But if I change the setting to search in 'All categories' I get roughly 3 times the number of items. So it definitely pays to have a wide search in some circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, the changes in category just went live and now all the scales are mixed in altogether. You can still select gauge down the left hand side of the search results but this requires all sellers to have correctly filled in the ever increasing lists of item specifics which I know for a fact many never bother with.

Ah well...

• Agree 2

On 12/10/2021 at 19:48, packetlos said:

Urgh, I don't like it at all. I signed out and cleared cookies etc thinking the site was broken!

Agreed, it's almost unworkable as it is now. I've found I have to fill in the search filters each time I go on the site. From now on, that is not going to be very often at all.

The tech people at Ebay love to tinker & mess with the site, but they've gone way too far with this!! :banghead:

Edited by F-UnitMad
spelling!!
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The people running ebay have a death-wish. Their constant tinkering with things they don't understand is ridiculous, and loses punters. Ebay is nothing without buyers.

Then there is the help they think they offer by providing a drop-down list of matches. So I type in Picasso, and it offers me cars and memorabilia of a painter. But I'm in HO Gauge, not All Categories. A pathetic failure to relate fields.

Then there's Best Match. What sort of person uses that for anything? The ebay computer knows better than you which is the most suitable item for you? Really?

Lucky to still be in business.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a mess...

I had the item specifics for all my listings perfectly set, now Ebay have scrapped the scale sub categories. all the specifics have been wiped out but now I am getting messages from Ebay to put the specifics on my listings that their own actions have deleted!!!

Also some of the new item specifics for Model Railroad items (as they now call it) make no sense whatsoever!!

Someone needs a well administered kick up the jacksi for this farce!!!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Will eBay never learn.  What was once a friendly community site is now the domain of the mega power seller.   In a recent conversation with an eBay representative I was advised that to retain my power seller status,  I would need to be more relevant with the times and offer free postage,  three day shipping and return guarantee with return postage paid.  I reminded him that many eBay sellers were people who occasionally list an item for sale and do not have a backroom full of personnel to run the eBay side of the business.  Alas,  due disinterest in actually listing items,   I let my power seller rating decline and am regularly reminded how I am letting my reputation and the eBay community down by not maintaining my sales level.  It seems that each time I go to list an item some listing rule has changed and I have to go scrambling to find out why I cannot get the postage details the way I want them to be.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Will eBay never learn.  What was once a friendly community site is now the domain of the mega power seller.   In a recent conversation with an eBay representative I was advised that to retain my power seller status,  I would need to be more relevant with the times and offer free postage,  three day shipping and return guarantee with return postage paid.  I reminded him that many eBay sellers were people who occasionally list an item for sale and do not have a backroom full of personnel to run the eBay side of the business.  Alas,  due disinterest in actually listing items,   I let my power seller rating decline and am regularly reminded how I am letting my reputation and the eBay community down by not maintaining my sales level.  It seems that each time I go to list an item some listing rule has changed and I have to go scrambling to find out why I cannot get the postage details the way I want them to be.

I wonder what will kill them off.

I keep hoping even though they are all pervasive that Google would have a go.

Amazon seems to be new only

• Agree 1

Hello,

I thought it was something I had done that had turned Railway modelling on ebay from a pleasure to a pain. Finding this uncovers they have made it a pile of **** themselves. What is it about current times that working things are totally wrecked in virtually any sphere  of life.

trustytrev.:senile:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I must admit that I thought such a drastic - and awful - change on Ebay would have created more of a stir on RMweb :dontknow:

Unless there's another Thread about it somewhere that I'm unaware of, now running to several hundred pages..!!! :rolleyes:  :mosking:

Perhaps we have all gotten used to ebay's habit of slow incremental changes that all make ebay harder to use, so that when finally we have a big leap downwards in usability after many small ones, we're just kind of used to the overall downwardness and don't react much because we're used to it..

In recent times i've been noticing a big drop off in OO gauge related stuff being listed anyway, at least the sort of things i'm interested in, so my attention and interest has been drifting away for some time. To go from looking infrequently now to not at all really isn't much of an impact or a loss.

I remember and miss the personal connections that you'd make back in the early days.  I wonder what will replace ebay.... ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It has made searching for US HO scale stuff even more difficult.  Many of the key manufacturers produce in at least two if not three different scales and as for searching for HO scale stuff from Atlas, the listings are now flooded with all that part work landfill!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

I just found this topic after whining in another RMweb ebay topic.  I used to be able to search the OO category by US sellers, I'm in the US.  The current categories are useless, enough so that I have complained using their feedback system.  I have since deleted my ebay shortcut, I'm going to give ebay a break...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1