Semaphore wire

Hello all,

I've recently been working on some N Gauge semaphores and want to get them operating using a servo, however, I need some wire to achieve this.

I'm looking for something around 0.5mm dia. (but between 0.4 and 0.6 should work). I've had limited experience with wire this thin (having worked with much thinker piano wire for something else).

What I'm looking for is a wire that can easily be bent to 90 degrees bit if rigid enough to operate the signal correctly. I wonder if anyone has any recommendation or experience with a suitable wire that might guide my purchase.

Regards

Be careful with hard brass, it will snap if bent too sharply. I have .33 and .45 in hard and soft  grades from Eileens, the soft is plenty rigid enough for handrails despite its name, and I've only found limited use for the hard as most 'straight' handrails have a bend somewhere. 

• RMweb Gold

My sticks are manually operated and use 0.45mm steel wire from the signal arm(s) to the under board crank and 1mm steel (piano) wire from the crank to the operating position. On the longer runs, the longer, 1mm rod passes through a support (electrical  strip connector) where the screws can be used to adjust for any “whippyness”. This method has been in successful operation for a few years now.

Edited by Right Away
spelling