Hornby 040 drives

revjem

I'm new here, so may not yet have found the answer to an old question - if so please forgive and redirect!

I have 3 Hornby 0-4-0s - two "Holden" style tanks and a Smokey Joe. They look the same inside (motors, gears) and yet the Holdens run smoothly and sensibly and SJ does what it's famous for. What's the difference and why isn't everyone answering the SJ taming question with "put a Holden motor and gear in it"?

Many thanks for a superb website.

revjem

It helps to do a bit more investigation! The motors and pick-ups are clearly different, so I guess swapping isn't worthwhile.

While on the topic, I notice that the green "Great Western" runs faster than the red "Santa Express" but nowhere near as fast as Smokey Joe. Is this all down to the motors?

Thanks for your patience.

6992E465-538F-4C42-A85C-81DB3C5FC2BD.jpeg

A7C42176-C23F-4B42-BAC1-7B501F31FB5E.jpeg

8E87B9FA-F5A8-4859-AA38-AA6476CDF505.jpeg

The “open frame” motor was discontinued a long time ago. The silver can motors initially had a high top speed, this was changed a few years ago. I think the internal windings were altered, maybe the original motors were really intended for 6 volts. 

There are two ways of moving to the slower speed motor. Easiest is to buy part number X8961, straight forward swap out. New chassis, wheels and slower running motor. Alternatively, buy just the motor X8964, though this will require a little bit of soldering and dis / reassembly. Make sure that the parts are labelled with the above X numbers, there could be someone selling other motors with the faster speed.

• 1 month later...