Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Proposed, cancelled and never were models

Hello all, I spend an unhealthy amount of time pondering ‘what if’ scenarios. Indeed it seems I’m not alone as the ‘imaginary locomotives’ thread is well patronised. But just as there have been many proposed locomotives and railways in the real world, I imagine there have been just as many in the modelling world. 

I remember that in the final chapter of the 1975 Hornby Railways album a number of proposed models were discussed, including a Snowdon Mountain Railway locomotive and coach, which had in fact made it to the mock up stage. Another proposal was for a coach that could open its doors in the platform. Both of course never happened, the coach was impractical as it wouldn’t have been possible to keep the doors closed when passing a station, and there was little market room for the Mountain railway set.

I also recall, possibly a series, of articles in a magazine on planned models over the years, Bachmann I know wanted to do a Q1, Hornby I’ve heard it said looked at a J36 in the 1980s. In more recent times we’ve seen the failed APT from DJM, though that last maybe to bitter of a memory for some. 

But is there more? What projects fell by the wayside? To be clear I am asking about proposed, not discontinued models, least this thread simply turn into a list of grievances. 

ScR

• Like 2

Lima LNER V2 is one I remember vividly as I ordered it back in the day. They even had mock ups made which I think was the Nu Cast kit.

There are lists of models that were due in the Ramsay's Guides. Mostly of models planned by Airfix and Mainline which were quite far down the development road. Many later appeared from elsewhere such as the Replica Modified Hall and much of the Dapol and Bachmann ranges had their roots there.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, scots region said:

Both of course never happened, the coach was impractical as it wouldn’t have been possible to keep the doors closed when passing a station,

I can easily imagine a mechanical or electrical actuator under the user's control, so that the doors could be made to remain closed as a train passed.   On the other hand it would give the option for passengers to be ejected from a moving train, TPO style. Hours of fun - what a pity it never made production.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

There was a Lima OO scale catalogue in the early to mid 1990's that promised Peaks, 90's, 91's and quite a few others all of which never appeared.  There were also some examples where Lima promised new liveries on existing tooling that never appeared either, still have my pre-order for a catalogued but never produced Class 101 centre car in NSE colours with a long defunct retailer filed around here somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a Wrenn Prairie tank and Adams Radial . They also proposed re issuing the old Hornby Dublo coaches which never happened . 

Airfix certainly proposed a Schools as it inadvertently appeared in some pics in catalogue , along with Bullied coaches 

Hornby had proposed City of Truro as far back as 77/ 79 ,the aforementioned J36, Park Royal Railbus, 45XX, 2MT, Deans Goods (before the Airfix one got taken into range), Clayton 17, V1,V2,N7,56XX and a class Z 0-8-0, all per Pat Hammond book

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Airfix with estimated release date. Taken from Ramsay's British Model Trains

SR Schools - 1982*

LNER B1 4-6-0 - 1982

LMS Compound - 1982*

LT 1938 Stock Underground Train *

GWR 43XX 2-6-0*

SR Lord Nelson 4-6-0 - 1982

WD 2-8-0 - 1983

SR U Class Mogul - 1983

LNER J69 0-6-0T - 1984

LMS Crab Mogul - 1984

SR O2

SR G6

LMS 5MT Black Five

LMS 8F

*Pre-production model exists

SR Bulleid Corridor Stock (3 types) - 1981

LNER Gresley Corridor Stock (3 types) - 1982

SR Birdcage Stock (2 types) - 1983

LMS Sleeper - 1983

LNER Gresley Non Corridor Stock  (2 types) - 1984

LNER Brake Van - 1981

Gloucester PO wagons with accurate 9' wheelbase - 1981

SR 25T Brake Van - 1982

LNER 9' wheelbase Fruit van - 1982

GWR Cowans Sheldon 45T mobile crane and jib carrier - 1983

GWR Tube wagon - 1983

GWR Ro-Rail Milk Tank - 1983

BR 16T mineral wagon - 1983

Plate Wagon - 1983

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

57 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I can easily imagine a mechanical or electrical actuator under the user's control, so that the doors could be made to remain closed as a train passed.   On the other hand it would give the option for passengers to be ejected from a moving train, TPO style. Hours of fun - what a pity it never made production.

I did imagine that dcc and motor technology has advanced to the point that opening doors would be possible. But then I wondered about curved side stock, how does the actuator work then? 

• Like 1

Mainline with estimated release date. Taken from Ramsay's British Model Trains

SR Lord Nelson 4-6-0

LMS 8F 2-8-0

GWR 28XX 2-8-0

LNER/BR A1 4-6-2

LMS/BR Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T

SR N Class 2-6-0

BR Class 25

LMS/BR Black Five 4-6-0

SR/BR Q1 0-6-0

LNER/BR J94 0-6-0ST

GWR 8750 0-6-0PT

Coaches

SR/BR Bulleid BTK/CK/Semi Open Third

BR Mark 1 SO

LMS 12 wheel 69' Sleeping Car

LNER Gresley Buffet Car

SR Utility Van

BR Mark 1 BG

GWR Collett First

Wagons

BR Chevron PCA Tank Wagon

Freightliner wagon and containers

SR 25T Brake Van

GWR Cattle Wagon

LNER Box Van

TEA Bogie Wagon

Bogie Paller Van

Notice the amount of overlap between what was announced by Airfix and then later released by Dapol/Replica/Bachmann.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, scots region said:

I did imagine that dcc and motor technology has advanced to the point that opening doors would be possible. But then I wondered about curved side stock, how does the actuator work then? 

You're overthinking it.  It would most likely have have operated mechanically like the contemporary TPO set, with overscale hinges and fairly large gaps between the door and body.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

One model that nearly made it was the Triang-Minic Ro-Ro trailer.  It was in the 66-67 catalogue year, but I think it was cancelled.

If you mean the Roadrailer, that was made for a short while.

There were two models in the 1965 Tri-ang Catalogue that never made production:

R572 - lifting bridge

R753  - Class AL2  (E3046), though the bogies, slightly modified, ended up under the ex-Hornby Dublo AL1 body.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Pictures, where possible, would be a great addition to an interesting thread.  I think I've seen the Airfix 'sneaky background shots' somewhere online.

Here I think.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/ARSysInd.htm

Here's the one with the N2 and Bulleid coach.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/CatTeasers.htm

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1