Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Proposed, cancelled and never were models

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Bachmann announced but walked back on a retooled Paralell Scot, and class 04… the retooled Turbostar seems to have gone quiet.

Did the really propose a new Scot? Or was it just the old version with a new chassis and a fresh lick of paint? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, scots region said:

Did the really propose a new Scot? Or was it just the old version with a new chassis and a fresh lick of paint? 

All their split chassis models were to be upgraded with a new chassis but those not done have now seemingly fallen by the wayside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The J50 is good. But it's virtually a design clever era model that is probably Railroad Plus standard. Moulded on bunker lamp irons, poorly represented pipework, etc.

Far from being Hi Fi I'm afraid, the Bachmann J72 is light years ahead of it.

Someone who got an email from Hattons saying I buy LNER/ER Black things and then realising I have far too many of them.....

:prankster:

Jason

Does not the J50 have a vastly improved mech compared to the later versions of Jinties, Panniers, J52s/86s and so on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2021 at 23:09, melmerby said:

All their split chassis models were to be upgraded with a new chassis but those not done have now seemingly fallen by the wayside.

I think it was the Ivatt 2-6-2T tank that killed off that plan.  The new chassis being sold at high spec price but still carrying the old tooling body didn't go down to well which seems to be the point all the proposed split chassis replacements were quietly dropped.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 10/09/2021 at 20:00, adb968008 said:

Bachmann announced but walked back on a retooled Paralell Scot

In the announcement as reported here it was described as simply: "The new DCC compatible chassis for the Parallel Boiler Royal Scot Class 4-6-0".  If that's all it was it's a little difficult to understand what might have been sufficiently "unfavourable" about the "present economic conditions" (this was 2018, remember).  They'd already put a modern, DCC-compatible chassis under the Jubilee and Patriot (albeit there were some reservations about its accuracy, especially in the latter case), which would suggest that it wouldn't have been a monumental task to do one for the Royal Scot as well.  As it was, though, anyone wanting a parallel-boilered Royal Scot with a modern chassis seems to left with two options: either kit build (which many are not competent, or simply unwilling, to do), or pay current prices for a Bachmann Patriot or Jubilee, or a Hornby rebuilt Scot, plus an aging Bachmann split-chassis Royal Scot (or just the body, if such can be found), and furtle the new chassis into the old bodyshell.

It does seem odd that such a significant locomotive class should be left unrepresented in modern RTR for so long.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Does not the J50 have a vastly improved mech compared to the later versions of Jinties, Panniers, J52s/86s and so on?

It does. But the body is still a "design clever" era model with simplified detailing. Very noticeable when looking at the bunker rear with the moulded lamp irons.

R3406_3197002_Qty1_2.jpg

Photo from Hattons who did have them on offer the other day. I very nearly got another one so I'm not criticising the model, especially if you can pick one up for a good price.

Very good, but not quite as good as it could have been. I would put in in the same category as the Star and the big GWR tanks in that they could have been better.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It does. But the body is still a "design clever" era model with simplified detailing. Very noticeable when looking at the bunker rear with the moulded lamp irons.

R3406_3197002_Qty1_2.jpg

Photo from Hattons who did have them on offer the other day. I very nearly got another one so I'm not criticising the model, especially if you can pick one up for a good price.

Very good, but not quite as good as it could have been. I would put in in the same category as the Star and the big GWR tanks in that they could have been better.

Jason

With hindsight it might not be a bad decision considering 5+ years later they are still new in bargain bins.

As soon as I see LNER and “J” anything in a model railway sentence, its usually followed by the word “Bargain”…

indeed Oxford J27 at £86.50 is new released straight to being a bargain!

indeed that could be a new catchphrase… yet another “J bargain”

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like J50s, to my mind the epitome of what a big four period 6-coupled tank loco should be, especially the hopper bunker versions.  Straightforward, practical, good sightlines for yard pilot/trip/pickup work, a sensible little loco in the Jinty/57xx tradition, a Thomas 'really useful engine'.  If the mech is good and the model runs smoothly and is capable of good control at low speeds and smooth starting and stopping, and the axle spacing and body tooling are in the scale ballpark, then one can deal with issues like moulded on detail and plastic coal. 

Of possible use to me as a chassis donor for the Wills 1854 that Philou gave me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The J50 apart from bunker lamp irons and anemic Ross pop valves which aren’t brilliant is definitely a full fat range model.

0CFF7D74-1D44-4285-A837-09584F7FAB13.jpeg.25d602b220eebc40f882c8d3667cac6b.jpeg

The chassis, 3x bunker styles, 2x cabs, era/livery correct buffer housings and finesse of moulding makes it far from a ‘Design Clever’ release. The lack of body detail reflects the real thing.

Edited by PMP
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2021 at 22:23, RichardT said:

Another example of manufacturers assuming that the 4mm collector’s market for oddities also exists in N and finding out it doesn’t - what’s wanted is core stock with wide distribution & uses (see also KR GT3 in N, Leader in N versus the success of Sonic’s 56xx & J50).

And yet Farish have sold several production runs of Deltic. Whilst I agree that we need bread-and-butter locos like the 56xx and J50, there's no doubting in my mind that one-offs ad oddities do sell - even in N.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2021 at 22:15, 009 micro modeller said:

Or you could have a scene where someone is nefariously pushed out of the train. I’m sure it could be made to work outside of stations too.

With an elderly lady watching the scene from a train running on a parallel track!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2021 at 23:15, RichardT said:

Oh, I see - I misunderstood you. 

But still, no, I don’t think this is the case. Manufacturers might sometimes get exclusive licences for current liveries (which are trademarked and copyright-protected), although this is less of an issue than in the early days of rail privatisation  when some of the new boys thought that there were fortunes to be made from IPR!  

But in the case of BR and earlier locos & stock - no.*

It’s sometimes assumed in modelling circles that some manufacturers have “bagged” certain prototypes by way of an announcement or previous production. Hornby in particular currently seem to have an unfortunate attitude that some prototypes are “theirs”. But that’s not legally enforceable against other firms (quite the reverse in fact).

It’s down to a commercial risk assessment whether you produce a model of a prototype which someone else has already done, or announced.  In this case, as Hornby are completely uninterested in the UK N market, that risk is non-existent.

RT

*Tedious IPR discussion omitted at this point for the sake of sanity. Just trust me on this.

Since TTTE was making squillions for the copyright holder, when the TV series came out, it isn't surprising.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2021 at 05:54, melmerby said:

I got one as well, also one for LMS black locos, not sure I have ever bought anything LNER black from Hattons.

I'm waiting for their GWR black locos e-mail next.........:jester:

I'm sure that Steam Railway can be persuaded to repaint one side of 'City of Truro'!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 313201 said:

I read a few years ago ( cannot remember when or what magazine it was featured in ) that Hornby once considered making an emu which would have had a sliding door mechanism on both sides of the coaches so that the doors would open depending on which platform the unit was driven into.

The problem they encountered was that if the buyer decided to run the unit/s as a semi fast or non stop service was that the doors would open everytime the train ran through a station and as a result the project was cancelled.

Tyneside Electrics were suitable for this, often I'm told running with the doors open on hot days (I think this means anything above freezing point in geordieland).  The vestibules were where mothers with prams congregated; nobody ever fell out, apparently, or perhaps just nobody noticed...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Tyneside Electrics were suitable for this, often I'm told running with the doors open on hot days (I think this means anything above freezing point in geordieland).  The vestibules were where mothers with prams congregated; nobody ever fell out, apparently, or perhaps just nobody noticed...

Popular in other places as well when It's warm........

9-361.jpg.1dd47d94a3b4663ba8917a762797815f.jpg

....Boulogne-sur-Mer to be exact (but not that one.....)

Edited by Johann Marsbar
added text
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Since TTTE was making squillions for the copyright holder, when the TV series came out, it isn't surprising.

Sorry, I'm not sure what bit of my post you're commenting on?

Cheers,

Richard

On 14/09/2021 at 13:23, 313201 said:

I read a few years ago ( cannot remember when or what magazine it was featured in ) that Hornby once considered making an emu which would have had a sliding door mechanism on both sides of the coaches so that the doors would open depending on which platform the unit was driven into.

The problem they encountered was that if the buyer decided to run the unit/s as a semi fast or non stop service was that the doors would open everytime the train ran through a station and as a result the project was cancelled.

The trouble is, the doors would need to open and close while the train is stationary - this excludes the sort of sprung ramps which are used in the mail coach set.

26 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

The trouble is, the doors would need to open and close while the train is stationary - this excludes the sort of sprung ramps which are used in the mail coach set.

Would it not be better to have some kind of trip switch or electromagnetic device that can be pressed once the train has stopped? This would also make it easier for non-stop trains as the trackside part of the device could simply be switched off (or not switched on) for them.

• Agree 3