Lift up Flap? or Swing Bridge?

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

The latest version of Lyneworth will mean the track going in front of the garage access door. Therefore I need either a lift up flap or a swing bridge to enable this.

Anyone got any experience of, or preference for, either or both of these?

Cheers

Clive 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Newbie2020 said:

The latest version of Lyneworth will mean the track going in front of the garage access door. Therefore I need either a lift up flap or a swing bridge to enable this.

Anyone got any experience of, or preference for, either or both of these?

Cheers

Clive 

Your choice also depends on how may tracks will cross, how wide the gap needs to be, how flexible you are (can you duck under at all?) as well as your carpentry skills (or access to such skills).

Neither is perfect, both have advantages.  Other options include a completely removable section.

An example of a lifting flap - Mid-Cornwall Lines 1950s 

image.png.985169b83448eef62bcfb6d4ec10ec67.png

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/&do=findComment&comment=1993983

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have access to a very competent joiner/carpenter (Luckily!!). I'm recovering form back surgery so mobility is not too good. The gap neds to span the door gap which is 950mm

9 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Your choice also depends on how may tracks will cross, how wide the gap needs to be, how flexible you are (can you duck under at all?) as well as your carpentry skills (or access to such skills).

Neither is perfect, both have advantages.  Other options include a completely removable section.

An example of a lifting flap - Mid-Cornwall Lines 1950s 

image.png.985169b83448eef62bcfb6d4ec10ec67.png

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/&do=findComment&comment=1993983

• RMweb Gold

See my thread for what I’m doing for multi level lifting flaps.  Page 4 for the concept and pages 9 and 10 for the ‘big one’.  None of these are scenic which would make life more complex.

If you have a competent carpenter, putting complex tracks across a flap is possible.

Paul.

• Like 2