Little known Locomotives

9D50B55A-01E1-4494-A0BC-97EAE897FC5C.jpeg.d6c0bf29bdc6612b360682468bfeffe3.jpeg
I come uncross this picture the other day and was extremely fascinated. Its a standard gauge  Kerr Stuart tattoo class. It get even crazier though. It was built by Kerr Stuart Brazil and originally owned by the City & South London railway to build the extension to Morden. It surprisingly survived till 1949 after helping build multiple other extension projects.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Train Thing said:

9D50B55A-01E1-4494-A0BC-97EAE897FC5C.jpeg.d6c0bf29bdc6612b360682468bfeffe3.jpeg
I come uncross this picture the other day and was extremely fascinated. Its a standard gauge  Kerr Stuart tattoo class. It get even crazier though. It was built by Kerr Stuart Brazil and originally owned by the City & South London railway to build the extension to Morden. It surprisingly survived till 1949 after helping build multiple other extension projects.

The same photo and more information appeared in Model Rail for 2021 February.

This one is a old Great Western broad gauge type. It is simply called the Bogie Class. Designed to run on the steep and winding South Devon Railway it’s frames only start at drivers and run to the rear. This class takes the term bogie to the next level. It is actually mounted on a ball and socket joint. Imagine trying to life that from one track to another.

22128648-0DBC-43BA-90FD-3982FF1B15C9.jpeg.d34d8db8e2b486f132e5f8b7c73d215f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/09/2021 at 04:00, Train Thing said:

It was built by Kerr Stuart Brazil

If by that you mean it was built in Brazil; no, it wasn’t.

It was built in England, Stoke-on-Trent I think, where rivers are not like The Amazon, jungles are rare, and nuts don’t come from.

The ‘Brazil’ is a KS locomotive class designation, like ‘Tattoo’ and ‘Wren’ etc.

The Central London Railway also had some tube-gauge steamers for engineering work, Bagnall IIRc, but check, because my memory is a fallible thing.

59 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If by that you mean it was built in Brazil; no, it wasn’t.

It was built in England, Stoke-on-Trent I think, where rivers are not like The Amazon, jungles are rare, and nuts don’t come from.

The ‘Brazil’ is a KS locomotive class designation, like ‘Tattoo’ and ‘Wren’ etc.

The Central London Railway also had some tube-gauge steamers for engineering work, Bagnall IIRc, but check, because my memory is a fallible thing.

Kerr-Stuart's works were in California; not the American state, but alongside the Trent and Mersey Canal. It was on the Stoke side of the wagon works (which are still there)

• Agree 1