All steel ‘K-type’ Pullmans from Revolution

AY Mod

• Moderators

Revolution is delighted to reveal its next range of N gauge coaches will be the much requested all steel 'K-type' Pullman coaches. The K-type Pullmans were the first all steel construction Pullmans in the UK.

1280px-Pullman_Parlour_First_No.254_%22Z
Parlour First "Zena" in the VSOE set at Bristol Temple Meads in April 2012. Photo courtesy of Hugh Llewelyn, Creative Commons CC BY-SA2.0 licence 

Metropolitan Cammell built 29 Pullman cars of 5 different body types: Kitchen 1sts and 3rds, Parlour 1sts and 3rds and Parlour Brake 3rds - we will offer all 5 body types in train packs to allow prototypical formations to be assembled.

A further 4 cars (81-84) were built in 1931 for the Bournemouth Belle - we will include these if feasible from the tooling.

Some of the K-types were used by the GWR on Ocean-Liner and Torquay Pullman services from 1929, but perhaps the more famous use was by the LNER and then BR in services such as the Queen of Scots, Tees-Tyne Pullman, Yorkshire Pullman and Master Cutler. By the mid-late 1960s some of the K-types were being used with other Pullman types (particularly the brakes) but unfortunately some were disposed of for scrap.  A few of the K-types continue to see service in the Venice Simplon Orient Express (VSOE) and a number survive to this day in preservation.
Our model will feature the same high levels of detail as our Mark 5 coaches and include interior lighting and working table lamps. 

The K-type Pullmans are in the final stages of research before we start CAD.  We expect the order book for the K-type Pullmans to open late Q4 2021 – Q1 2022.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite superb Revolution: prototypes that can legitimately run from the 1930s to the present day!

Awaiting order book opening with bated breath.

Now, about those Raven Pacifics… (forget what I said above about 1930s to the present day.)

RT

• Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 11:01, AY Mod said:

Revolution is delighted to reveal its next range of N gauge coaches will be the much requested all steel 'K-type' Pullman coaches. The K-type Pullmans were the first all steel construction Pullmans in the UK.

1280px-Pullman_Parlour_First_No.254_%22Z
Parlour First "Zena" in the VSOE set at Bristol Temple Meads in April 2012. Photo courtesy of Hugh Llewelyn, Creative Commons CC BY-SA2.0 licence 

Metropolitan Cammell built 29 Pullman cars of 5 different body types: Kitchen 1sts and 3rds, Parlour 1sts and 3rds and Parlour Brake 3rds - we will offer all 5 body types in train packs to allow prototypical formations to be assembled.

A further 4 cars (81-84) were built in 1931 for the Bournemouth Belle - we will include these if feasible from the tooling.

Some of the K-types were used by the GWR on Ocean-Liner and Torquay Pullman services from 1929, but perhaps the more famous use was by the LNER and then BR in services such as the Queen of Scots, Tees-Tyne Pullman, Yorkshire Pullman and Master Cutler. By the mid-late 1960s some of the K-types were being used with other Pullman types (particularly the brakes) but unfortunately some were disposed of for scrap.  A few of the K-types continue to see service in the Venice Simplon Orient Express (VSOE) and a number survive to this day in preservation.
Our model will feature the same high levels of detail as our Mark 5 coaches and include interior lighting and working table lamps. 

The K-type Pullmans are in the final stages of research before we start CAD.  We expect the order book for the K-type Pullmans to open late Q4 2021 – Q1 2022.

Great News!!!

Of course, one has to be the pedant and note that VSOE (now Belmond) modified Zena with additional conventional-looking underframe trussing. These Pullman cars did not have an underframe as such, as illustrated by Third Parlour No.83 (renamed Ann) on the K&WVR:  

Coaching Stock: 'ANN' Oxenhope Museum K&WVR

Best regards,

Martin  :senile:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I foresee a good number of n gauge layouts with these coaches on in the future, and also a good number of the venerable Graham Farish coaches finding their way on to the second hand market. Thankfully for my finances, these only ran on the GWR during 1929 and 1930, before being replaced by GWR's own Super Saloons. So I feel no compulsion to purchase them, at the moment!

I hope that these are great sellers for Revolution and it encourages them to look at other coaches in the future.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, have you thought about doing the K type Pullmans in N gauge, the wooden versions in pre war (with Match Boards) and post 1955 versions? Thanks Fred

Can they get the steel ones out first?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Great that these are coming out - would be interested to see what the options are - would be good to have some 2 packs for modern rail tours where they can be mixed in with other types.

Also, they must run well with Farish MK1/2s and Mark 1 Pullmans.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Great that these are coming out - would be interested to see what the options are - would be good to have some 2 packs for modern rail tours where they can be mixed in with other types.

Also, they must run well with Farish MK1/2s and Mark 1 Pullmans.

Other than the ones with VSOE (which don't mix with other rates) the only one seen near a mainline is PTB 232 (Car 79) on the NYMR dining train with an eclectic mix of the last original condition RF 324 plus on each of PFP and PFK Mk1 Met cams 321 and 328.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don’t want the full VSOE set or only be able to buy large packs.  Maybe just a pair of brakes or 2-3 parlour/kitchens would be sufficient.

Even to run the VSOE the K types must couple reliably to Farish Mk1s because there’s usually at least one in the charter set next to the engine - maybe even mk2s depending on what’s being used a a support coach?

On a layout with perhaps four years life before it retires (Croft Spa) can I justify the outlay for a nine coach Tees-Tyne Pullman rake?

Especially as a year after Hawthorn Dene was retired and sold on the three Hunslet shunters I ordered for it many moons ago still haven't arrived........

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chrisjh said:

Fantastic news I will be definitey purchasing a full rake of these I wonder when these will be available to purchase. Many thanks, Chris  

A few posts above yours….

On 13/09/2021 at 20:38, Revolution Mike said:

Format and pricing will be announced when we open the order book likely to be late this year or Q1 2022. 

cheers Mike

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, shanks522 said:

Hello RevolutioN gents,

Any news / updates on the Pullmans?? 

Graham. 

Hi Graham

According to the RevolutioN website they are still at the "research" stage which I would take to mean pre-CAD. That said, the website also says order books were  anticipated to open April/May so it could be an update is due soon, some projects don't seem to have been updated on there for a while (ahem - 128!).

Regards

Roy

• Like 1