Revolution Going underground! 1938 stock in N!

AY Mod

I remember seeing an underground train at Oxford Model Railway Exhibition back in the 1970's!  I felt it was probably N-gauge as despite me being small, it looked small to me and I could see it from the side wall of the layout :)  I always wanted to see an N-gauge one, so this is a real positive surprise!  Well done Revolution Trains!  I especially like the IOW interest in them... definitely one to order :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Revolution goes pre-war! Welcome to the dark side…

”These don’t fit with my chosen place and time…these don’t fit with my chosen place and time…must keep repeating this…must keep repeating this…”

EDIT: Posted the above before I saw the Pullmans announcement. My cup runneth over!!

RT

Edited by RichardT
Realising that they are also doing Pullmans!
  • Like 2

That's a real surprise and very welcome. Another much needed EMU to go on the Southern end of the West Coast Main Line, as well as nearly of London and suburbs.

They will go well with a 501 and a 310, won't they ? Ah, we still have to see if they ever materialise, don't we ? :D

They will sit well with the 313 though.

I will definitely be in the order queue for this one. 4 car sets ? 3 car supplementary sets ? Even full 7 car sets ? I look forward to more details.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How many cars per set and, most importantly, how much?

Separate motorised chassis would be good too if they could be made available.  Currently modelling N scale Underground involves a faff in finding obscure TomyTec et-al motorised chassis from odd corners of the globe.

• Like 1

I really hope the experimental driving car 10306 is produced as one of the variants. It spent most of its life on the Northern line, but Andy Armitage did say he saw it rostered for the Bakerloo line once. I want one, as I travelled in it regularly at the time , on the Northern.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

How many cars per set and, most importantly, how much?

Separate motorised chassis would be good too if they could be made available.  Currently modelling N scale Underground involves a faff in finding obscure TomyTec et-al motorised chassis from odd corners of the globe.

Pricing and set format to be finalised over the next couple of weeks but likely 2 car IoW sets, 4 car preserved set and 4+3 sets for original tube use. 

We’ve no plans to sell chassis separately. 

Cheers Mike

Edited by Revolution Mike
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have a crazy idea to do an alternative version of East Finchley in the late 70s but imagining the line to Finsbury Park never closed. Instead it remained part of BR and was electrified in 1977 along with the line to Moorgate. Then you could have 313s in BG livery running on the centre lines while the 38 stock runs on the outer lines. I imagine some of the 313s would turn back using the siding just north of the station while others might run on the Edgeware via Mill Hill (which also would not have closed ;) ). I could even add a bit of frieght in the form of milk traffic. There was a rail-served Unigate dairy with its own siding on the Up line. The real thing closed in the early 60s when the line to Finsbury Park was severed but if the link had remained open it could have still been receiving milk in the late 70s as Unigate did not stop milk trains until 1980.

• Like 6

If people are looking for another excuse to buy one then the IoW units were tested on the mainline before heading over the Solent. Apparently the first unit was tested between Basingstoke and Eastleigh. I’m sure I remember on a trip to the IoW seeing the ‘new’ trains in sidings near Portsmouth. 

This thread has pictures of them

at Haslemere.

It wouldn’t take much imagination to see them running in on other NSE lines!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for posting these images - fascinating.  I’ve seen lots of shots of newer TfL trains being dragged from Derby to London, but there seems to be very little information about earlier LT stock.  The 1938 stock trains were built in Birmingham, so must’ve been ferried to London somehow...presumably by the LMS.  

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

The 1938 stock trains were built in Birmingham, so must’ve been ferried to London somehow...presumably by the LMS.  

I suppose they might have been moved at night as it was quieter, or it may be just of little interest to the few photographers out there. 

My comment above about adding a hidden layer to the tram layout was only partially in jest. I did think building it so it partially sat beneath and appears in an ‘urban canyon’ might be one idea or a friend has been 3D printing an urban N gauge modular mini layout and that would rather suit these too. Ultimate book case or shelf layout with a 2 inch deep floating shelf layout with the books on top?

• Like 2