• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to starting my photo plank build. The plank is from SMS and measures 400 x 100mms.
As I like Era9 of the initial privatisation and wagons that were around that period.

I will be using Peco setrack as it's something I have always used. At the back of the plank I will have a grassy embankment which will have a break in the middle for railway vehicles to enter.

I hope it all sounds ok.:)

Edited by Kevin Johnson

• RMweb Gold

This Morning I have added a couple of progress pictures. The track is now laid and weathered up, once blasting is done I can add some rust washes to the ties.
I have added cardboard around the two corners as these will form grassy embankments. I still need to add kitchen roll and PVA to the cardboard, this will be done some time today.

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening I continued adding kitchen towel and pva to form the grassy embankments.

The coal staithe was painted and weathered then glued in place. 

Hopefully today I will know where the coal office will be situated so I can start adding filler to the surface.:)

20210911-073401.jpg20210911-073353.jpg20210911-073339.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Bandit said:

It’s all looking good. Well done. I love micro layouts and we definitely need more of them at exhibitions to showcase what can be achieved in a small space with a minimum budget.

Thank you for your mind comments, today I'm going to concentrate building some steps for the little platform area.

Hopefully my coal yard office kit will arrive today. More to follow..:good:

• Like 1

Am puzzled ! coal bins next to a track and adjacent to a diverging point (disused) , surely the  coal bins would have been in use whilst the point was in use, so cant see the logic for positioning them there. As regards them being next to the track not  really prototypical as wagons would have unloaded straight into sacks on the backs of the lorries , coal not required straight away would have been unloaded , yes into the bins but these would probable be across the yard as a wagon left in the siding  would incur charges from the railway.

So is this part of the puzzle ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John thanks for your comments. Yes I agree it's not prototypical, I just wanted to build a micro layout and to put my own stamp on it. It's all fictitious and yes some things in the real world would not have been done how I want the layout to look.

I'm enjoying the modelling and having fun.:D

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon and thank you for the members you have commented and pushed the likes button.

After one comment I have decided to change my plank plan as my original ideas for the layout would not be possible in the railway world. 

So hence I have come up with a new plan. Still using the sms plank board, I will run a length of track the full length with no points. At the back of the plank I will have a grassy embankment running the full length. Obviously I will be adding ballast and the appropriate foliage around the plank and maybe some lineside items which may have been left.

I'm sure it will all make sense as the new build progresses..

20210911-163541.jpg20210911-163519.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does it matter if it’s not prototypical as long as you’re modelling and most importantly, it pleases you? If we take it to its logical conclusion, none of our modelling is prototypical as we have to constantly compromise. Whoever heard of buildings in the real world make of plastic or card etc etc.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Umm good but preferred the first one more interest in an used point. JMHO…..

Liking your techniques keep it coming, kitchen roll and PVA far cheaper than sculptimould! 
Learned something there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

Put another level at the rear, narrow gauge feeder or high level station (to the low level).:D

Make the plank sides a dockside or plate frame girders..................:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I was up early this morning I thought I would start work on laying some filler. This is mixed with paint and PVA glue.  This was spread over a section of track which will replicate where ash would have been removed from the firebox and thrown on to the track and along the edges. 

When this was trodden in it formed a hard surface.

It's quite messy but loads of fun.:D

20210912-075143.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi after being out for a nice walk, I set to and started applying kitchen roll with PVA glue to the back of the plank which is the embankment area.

Once fully dried tomorrow I can can paint it an earth colour before the static grass is applied.:)

20210912-121225.jpg

• Like 6

Theres a lot you can do with a single track diorama, I built one in O gauge a while back approx 4ft x 15 inches.

IMG_1005.JPG.de4c037c49848d3ceee3d88902abb2f9.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG.7ead88509c8e13be5bc638541c05721c.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG.463c184b84fd28eab59905a9feb1e8f5.JPG

It is also used as a programming track and as such can also run my locos and stock, it's also been exhibited, just the once before the lock down.

IMG_2370.JPG.92903380c1fffc5fc62d957781ace217.JPG

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine!

Cheers, Pete.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kevin.

I liked your first version too and it may not have been prototypical but at the end of the day as long as you're getting enjoyment from it then that is all that matters,  good luck with the second version,  looks good so far. 

Jerry. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of progress on my plank but I did receive a Dapol EWS turbot bogie ballast wagon from Hattons today. This will be one of the wagon that will be pictured on my plank.

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A tiny bit of progress was made today. I reworked the grassy embankment along the back of the plank as I wanted an access road for railway vehicles to use.

I'm happy with how it's turned out, tomorrow I will add the access road using filler, pva and mix in some colour. :)

20210922-144507.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes. Progress has been slow due to working nights and family life. As you can see I have rejigged the plan by have the track on an angle. With the front of the plank now having a small grassy embankment.

The back of the plan will have a coal bunker which I have already started by adding the uprights which are match sticks. The planks of the bunker will be modelled from wood coffee stirrers.

20211007-102247.jpg

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...