• RMweb Gold

Today I have managed to fit the boards to the coal bunker which will need time to dry before painting and weathering commences tomorrow.

Wood coffee stirrers do come in handy when scratch building is required. As always a picture of my progress. :)

20211009-124746.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been weathering the buffer stop which is made by fixing three railway sleepers together. This used to be used in little sidings where chains were wrapped under the rails and around the sleepers.

This is what I plan to do, I'm pleased with the old wood look. As always a progress picture..

20211011-114643.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I have been weathering the buffer stop which is made by fixing three railway sleepers together. This used to be used in little sidings where chains were wrapped under the rails and around the sleepers.

This is what I plan to do, I'm pleased with the old wood look. As always a progress picture..

20211011-114643.jpg

That's a nice wood effect Kevin, looks good with the rusty chairs.

• RMweb Gold

Some more progress this afternoon, sticking with weathering I have completed the coal bunker as well as the track sleepers.

I'm going to add a few bits of brown to the coal bunker, but all in all its coming together nicely.

I have built a small grassy area to the rear right of the plank. As always a few progress pictures..

20211011-133926.jpg20211011-133944.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This morning I have been concentrating on the ballasting. I'm using a new product from SMS called urban ballast and it's gone down nicely.

Needs at least 24 hours to dry before more weathering is applied to the chairs and ballast.

As always some progress pictures..

20211013-103516.jpg20211013-103503.jpg20211013-103452.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi and thanks for touching the likes button. I'm pleased people are liking my railway modelling. 

Originally the front of the plank was going to be where the fence runs, but now the fence is going to be at the rear of my plank as it looks better this way. The plank base has been drilled to accept the fence posts which have also been glued for strength. 

As always a progress picture..

20211013-134809.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi and thanks for touching the likes button. I'm pleased people are liking my railway modelling. 

Originally the front of the plank was going to be where the fence runs, but now the fence is going to be at the rear of my plank as it looks better this way. The plank base has been drilled to accept the fence posts which have also been glued for strength. 

As always a progress picture..

20211013-134809.jpg

Hi Kevin

Coming along nicely, that looks like the fencing I used on TH. I learnt the hard way and I would recommend that you thread the wire through now and then paint wire and posts before adding any static grass. I did it in reverse order and found it very difficult trying to fit the wire through the bottom two post holes as the static grass was in the way concealing the holes. I also kept on getting brown and rust colour paint on the grass when trying to paint the wire and posts. Made a simple job take about 4 times as long.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mark thank you for your mind comments. Yes I was thinking the same by painting the posts and wire before adding the grass.

I'm happy with the way the plank is looking. Can I ask what colour you used on the posts.

2 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Mark thank you for your mind comments. Yes I was thinking the same by painting the posts and wire before adding the grass.

I'm happy with the way the plank is looking. Can I ask what colour you used on the posts.

I'm sending you you a PM re. the posts.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi I'm pleased with the ballast as it's dried nicely. This morning work has started on the area leading to the coal bunker. Filler has been laid and I have also made some undulations in the surface to emulate where vehicles would have been. 

The surface will be weathered and painted to give it that hard packed ash, muck and cinder surface. As always a progress picture..

20211014-113934.jpg

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone thanks for the response to my photo plank build.

I'm going to be away from railway modelling for a little while due to health issues. This won't stop me from popping in from time to time on the forum. 

Looking at the different layout builds will take my mind off things when I'm at a low point.

Take care and keep modelling. :sungum:

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5