Cobalt IP Digital issue with Digitrax DCS52

Mikehextall

So I setup all my Cobalt IP Digital point motors using a Bachman Dynamis, all working fine and throwing from left to right using the Dyanmis.
I then took the plunge and treated myself to a Digitrax DCS52, attached it to the layout and turned the power on, selected the address of one of the Cobalts and pressed throw, all I got was a very brief groan from the Cobalt and then nothing, selected another Cobalt and pressed throw, again a brief groan and nothing, what have I done wrong?

16 hours ago, Mikehextall said:

So I setup all my Cobalt IP Digital point motors using a Bachman Dynamis, all working fine and throwing from left to right using the Dyanmis.
I then took the plunge and treated myself to a Digitrax DCS52, attached it to the layout and turned the power on, selected the address of one of the Cobalts and pressed throw, all I got was a very brief groan from the Cobalt and then nothing, selected another Cobalt and pressed throw, again a brief groan and nothing, what have I done wrong?

It’s difficult to give a reply without knowing how you have or where you have attached any wires when you changed over the units. Have you reprogrammed the Colbalts, it does sound that you may have connected up the buss wires to the programming track outputs on the DCS52.

I attached the wires directly to the terminals marked Rail A and Rail B on the DCS52.

I have 5 Cobalts numbered 0001 to 0005 using the Dynamis and all work fine using those addresses on the Dynamis. I have even changed the addresses using the DCS52 and still get the same brief groan when using 'throw' and 'close. If I plug them back into the Dynamis they work fine. 

47 minutes ago, Mikehextall said:

I attached the wires directly to the terminals marked Rail A and Rail B on the DCS52.

I have 5 Cobalts numbered 0001 to 0005 using the Dynamis and all work fine using those addresses on the Dynamis. I have even changed the addresses using the DCS52 and still get the same brief groan when using 'throw' and 'close. If I plug them back into the Dynamis they work fine. 

From what you said you done the wiring correctly, it should work as I have a mate with the same setup. What power supply feeds the DCS52. Have you measured the track voltage output and also the amp draw when you try to operate the colbalts

Thanks for the help and advice.

Problem solved. According to DCCconcepts there was a known issue with the Digitrax system and a software update was required to resolve it, this affected the DT602, DCS210 and now the DCS52. Updated the software this evening and all points now throwing and closing perfectly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikehextall said:

Thanks for the help and advice.

Problem solved. According to DCCconcepts there was a known issue with the Digitrax system and a software update was required to resolve it, this affected the DT602, DCS210 and now the DCS52. Updated the software this evening and all points now throwing and closing perfectly.

Whenever I buy anything new these days that has firmware, I make a habit of updating its firmware straightaway if it's not current and updating is possible. Bought a new TV last month for our kitchen, and sure enough it was 2 levels down on firmware currency. Somewhat amazed that the download file was over 500 Mb just for a TV! 

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Whenever I buy anything new these days that has firmware, I make a habit of updating its firmware straightaway if it's not current and updating is possible. Bought a new TV last month for our kitchen, and sure enough it was 2 levels down on firmware currency. Somewhat amazed that the download file was over 500 Mb just for a TV! 

but is it strictly needed, if your not experiencing a specific problem. Sometimes the upgrade itself can cause issues.