• 1 year later...

Our last holiday in that part of Wales was around a year ago, and we stayed in Ty'r Graig Castle Hotel, overlooking the line just north of Barmouth. From our room we could clearly see the NR storage yard adjacent to the promenade roadway. We did not take the opportunity to cross the bridge on that holiday as we were moving on to our next overnight location in Ruabon, but on a previous stay in Barmouth, I did achieve my objective of walking across the bridge as far as Barmouth Junction (as-was). My sense of timing was perfect, as the train back to Barmouth was just rolling in as I reached the platform. The rail fare was money well spent, as on that walk across the bridge, my left arm had felt numb and my left leg was slightly lacking in power, so I was grateful of the ride back. It was not until a couple of days later that I discovered that I had suffered a stroke that morning. Ooops.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

This message from Network Rail detailing the final planned closure for works has just been circulated by our Community Council clerk.

Final phase of refurbishment work to Barmouth Viaduct 

Good afternoon,

We will be continuing our final phase of work to refurbish the Barmouth Viaduct this autumn, to protect the well-loved bridge for future generations and maintain its magnificent appearance.

As you may be aware, we have split this work across several years to reduce the impact on rail services, the community and the local economy. We’ve also carefully planned our work to avoid the busy summer season when tourism in Barmouth and the local area is at its height.

This year, our work will focus on upgrading the metallic elements of the bridge, as well as renewing the tracks near Barmouth Toll House on the northern edge of the viaduct. I will be in touch nearer the time of this blockade to arrange a visit to see this work. 

When is the railway closed?

We need to close the railway for approx. 13 weeks this autumn to carry out this work safely:

· Saturday, 2nd September to Friday, 24th November – This 12-week closure of the line has been confirmed. During this period, we will be working to refurbish the metallic elements of the bridge.

· Saturday, 25th November to Saturday, 2nd/Sunday, 3rd December – We are planning to also renew the tracks near Barmouth Toll House, on the northern end of the viaduct, during this period. These dates are still to be confirmed, but we will update you when we receive confirmation.

Please note, we cannot renew the tracks during the 12-week closure. This is why we are looking to keep the railway closed for an additional week.

Will the footpath remain open?

To protect the safety of our staff and the public, we will be closing the footpath across the viaduct from Saturday, 2nd September to Friday, 24th November. We’re sorry for any disruption caused by this closure, but the safety of our staff and the public remains our priority.

Once we have confirmed our plans for the last week of November (Saturday, 25th November – Saturday, 2nd/Sunday, 3rd December), we will write to you to let you know how this will impact the footpath.

When is the work taking place? 

Preparation work has already started and will be ongoing until September. We are currently grit blasting the steel caissons (the large steel cylinders that support the metallic parts of the bridge), ready for painting. We are conducting a mixture of day and night shifts to complete this work.

Our teams are working close to homes and will aim to minimise disruption as much as possible. Whilst our lineside neighbours have been informed of these works, we would like to apologise in advance for any disruption caused whilst we complete these repair works. 

Changes to train services

Transport for Wales is expecting to operate a combination of bus replacements and train services along the Cambrian Coast line. 

Our advice to passengers during this period is to plan ahead and check before travelling at www.tfw.wales.

Thank you for your continued support as we complete these vital works. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at charlotte.harries@networkrail.co.uk or gail.jones@tfw.wales.

Yours sincerely, 

Charlotte Harries | Public Affairs Manager for Network Rail: Wales and Borders 

Gail Jones | Stakeholder Manager for Transport for Wales

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

This message from Network Rail detailing the final planned closure for works has just been circulated by our Community Council clerk.

We will be in Porthmadog in September so this is worth noting, thank you, so we will not take a trip to Barmouth for a walk across the bridge.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Here is the latest picture of the work on the bridge, from my favourite web site.  Click back for more, and probably by the time you see this there will have been more added.

There's some really fascinating engineering going on there! 

Andy G

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

Yes the bridge has reopened and it looks like a good job from the photos I've seen.  Lots of track and sleeper repairs have also been carried out along the line, all in time for the introduction of new rolling stock sometime in the next 18 months.

Assuming they work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

The report talks about 'new rolling stock'

Any idea whats planned?

class 197s

the ertms fitted ones are sat in Donnington freight terminal (Telford) awaiting commissioning/testing 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

Now how about a more frequent service as well??

That'd be nice, but would need some infrastructure upgrades I'd have thought. I remember chatting way back with a retired signalman (whilst waiting for an excursion to pass) who'd worked out you'd need to restore some passing loops on the coast section; I recall he mentioned Talsarnau and Criccieth, and I think Aberdovey. It meant moving the passing places anyway, to up the frequency. But the weak links are the long cross-country section, and the congested West Mids leg on services starting and ending in Brum, at least that's what he said. 

These days you've also got the log train to fit in (which they seem to be struggling with a bit for paths), and it's already so tight that on the rare occasions a charter runs, it has to be a weekday, and needs a scheduled passenger turn subbing with a bus to clear a path on the coast. I can't see TfW shelling out the millions it would cost to relay a couple of passing loops, and the millions more needed for re-instating second platforms. They're probably just happy to show off a shiny new train or two, as they have with the Conwy Valley line.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2023 at 13:54, stewartingram said:

Any idea of individual id's of these, and roughly how long they have been there?

not sure, I did make a note to tell my dad but can’t remember the numbers, I think there are in the mid 20s to about 40

Nice vid if the work in the bridge on Twitter courtesy of network rail. 

https://x.com/networkrail/status/1734589261712707646?s=46&t=_D0idSTEdpin4MyBN8ca4g

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to see it is open, and it works, I did not get wet last Friday!  Buses were fun at times and offered a better service with some stations almost needing the "Road" suffix. A lot of money lost with no revenue protection, even at Mach. 

Viz 197s not enough fitted with ERTMS version ? equipment despite being a new build so the twats in Cardiff have ensured yet again the the daily farce risk of a double train change with up and down services at Shrewsbury with unfitted sets in the service group will carry on for the future - and beyond.

Worse suggestions are that timetables being designed to treat coast as a separate line with changes required in both directions at Mach- very retrograde.

The last current connection down the coast sees station closed around passengers - so you get dumped back into the cold... as the staff hours have never been changed - a missed opportunity perhaps a decade ago. The very late train has killed off the evening rover market and what at times had been a reasonably well used summer train is leading towards a superannuated ecs working!  And of course the earlier  up trains do not enjoy the custom of outward evening users - what a way to see a sunset on a lovely day but from a  west coast facing train, pie and pint at several options and back on a train for 22.00 but no now it arrives end of line post 23.00.

A few years ago it would be being "worked in for closure" with tricks like this, but no rather than maximise revenue options it is a case of maximise subsidy so much for initiatives of privatisation over dead wood  BR ! 

But really glad bridge set up now for length of time line has with global warming and tidal lifts, I suppose if humans left in 100 years time Ffestiniog Travel marine division will offer suitable tours and diving experiences to see the Barmouth reef  based on the bridge.

Robert.    

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

More seriously, I did read that they increased the number of 197s being fitted with ERTMS from the original figure which was the same as the number of 158s. but it seems short-sighted not to fit them all now when ERTMS will be installed steadily on other parts of the system in the next few years.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Seems strange to have new 197s sat idle when they are using 150s and 153s on some long distance services.  I'm not complaining, makes it more interesting to watch but passengers would be a bit miffed.

• RMweb Premium

I heard a rumour of "compatibility" issues but I cannot imagine what they can be as the ERTMS on the Cambrian line has been upgraded.

Also driver training seems to be an issue, perhaps because of the class 175 problems.

In fact instead of "later this year" it was suggested to me that the date of introduction will be 2025.

But all that is hearsay.

Perhaps once it has been tested on the line later this month Tornado could haul some of the trains! Though it appears that there may be clearance issues west of Newtown.

Jonathan

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 19:10, big jim said:

have they got electricity in arthog? 

Occasionally.  That said the previous owners of Bron Meirion in the village installed a water turbine generator on part of their land.  There's also two unused tunnels in Friog which were designed for a hydro-electric scheme when Fairbourne was self raised by MacDougall the flour magnate in the early 1900s but was never implemented, sadly.  Llwyngwril also had some form of water powered DC electric system before the grid. 

It would be good if we could reactivate some of these schemes so we can have battery-electric trains up the coast with opportunity charging in the station loops where trains wait to pass.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

In Railway Adventure Tom Rolt describes the lights in the Dolgoch Hotel dimming as the reservoir that supplied its turbine emptied.

Pre 'National Grid' there were all manner of local systems, in one case a car engine driving a generator in a garage that supplied a few houses in a South Wales village

• Like 1