Beautiful Traing L1 in SR green, but what colour is it?

Hi,

33C is right about the colour. It is supposed to be SR Olive green. But in reality it is far too shiny. On another note the bogie wheels should be all green and not just the hubs. Like this one.

L1 O.jpg

L1 o1.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, 21C1 said:

Take it along to your local Dulux decorating centre (B&Q?)  with a colour scanner.  They will scan it and suggest the nearest colour in their mixer range and there are thousands. A test tin 250ml will cost about £5.

And then do the whole front room.....with lining.........and lettering.........:D

• Funny 10

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi,

33C is right about the colour. It is supposed to be SR Olive green. But in reality it is far too shiny. On another not the bogie wheels should be all green and not just the hubs. Like this one.

L1 O.jpg

L1 o1.jpg

Fantastic info thanks

9 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

So far in the colour patch tests I've been doing from Precision Paints S.E.C.R. Wainwright loco green is the closest match!

Think some of dad's paints have gone off sadly, BR loco, GWR and Maunsell Olive all look poo brown :(

Hi,

Try giving them a good mix. Sometimes the pigment sinks to the bottom of the tin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi all thanks for the ideas etc.

I do have another paint on order, an Emerald Green that looked good on the colour chart however here is the loco done with the SECR green.

It's close but no banana I guess, is it acceptable, I think so at the moment.

The patch on the tender looks much better than the black gouge that was there.

IMG_8445RM.JPG

IMG_8447RM.JPG

IMG_8448RM.JPG

IMG_8449RM.JPG

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just discovered i've been under a lifelong misapprehension about Southern loco liveries: I always thought it was olive green under Maunsell and malachite under Bulleid. Well yesterday I bought from a charity shop Railway Liveries 1923-1947 by Brian Haresnape.

According to Haresnape, the first loco green adopted by the Southern was the "sage green" that the LSWR under Urie had been using since World War 1. When stocks of this had been exhausted in 1926, Maunsell then started to apply to locos the darker shade (referred to as "Parsons Green"), that the LSWR had been using for coaches since 1915. This latter green lasted until Bulleid introduced his malachite in 1938, but its appearance tended to vary over the years due to reformulation, weathering and re-varnishing.

Olive green made an appearance only as a short-lived experiment in 1936, but was discontinued after it had been found to weather badly.

Is this regarded as an orthodox account by Southern experts?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2