Dapol N Gauge O&K Hoppers

Stuart A

• RMweb Gold

This is a nice surprise. I suppose that with Dapol having done this wagon in OO, it should have been foreseeable that they might do them in N too. To be honest, I was expecting Revolution to come up with something for their early versions of the Class 59 to pull, but these will do very nicely.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not something that I will be purchasing but I am sure that they will sell a lot of these to go with their and Revolution's class 59's. Shows some joined up thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Kris said:

Not something that I will be purchasing but I am sure that they will sell a lot of these to go with their and Revolution's class 59's. Shows some joined up thinking. 

Oh yeah, I’d forgotten Dapol were doing the 59s as well. :scratchhead:

Edited by Western Aviator

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

These are hitting the shelves now. 

dapolokjhag.jpg.506ad9569e154c095fafae105de60bf6.jpg

Visually impressive, but both my examples are prone to dragging wheels, caused by insufficient clearance between the wheels and underside of the chassis. Anything other than absolutely level track any you might have problems!

Full review here

Tom.  

• Like 4

Hi Gang,

4 out of my 8 have broken couplings due to either poor packing or shifting in transit. Had a look at supergluing the coupler back together, but the plastic does not seem to like cyano!!

Been in touch with the retailer and they have said that they would send replacement couplings. Not sure they really understood the issue, but I’ll wait to see what arrives.

This could be an expensive mistake for Dapol as I’m not the only buyer with these issues. As these wagons are a ‘desireable’ rather than a ‘necessity’, there is always the option of returning them for a refund if a solution cannot be found.

Later, Stu.

Disappointed of EGVN!

Edited by Stu from EGDL

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, TomE said:

Full review here

@TomE I read your review - thanks for the info 🙂 …. you mention they are very heavy - how heavy would you say compared to the Revolution HOA? 

I’m trying to model one of those ‘jumbo’ trains and I have all the HOAs and JNAs I need, but I wasn’t banking on these being so heavy…. Dapol have no prior history of over-weighting that I recall….

To be honest, I’d really just like the knuckle coupler link-bar and I’d settle for Dapol selling that as a spares/accessory…. 🤣

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, JR_P said:

@TomE I read your review - thanks for the info 🙂 …. you mention they are very heavy - how heavy would you say compared to the Revolution HOA? 

I’m trying to model one of those ‘jumbo’ trains and I have all the HOAs and JNAs I need, but I wasn’t banking on these being so heavy…. Dapol have no prior history of over-weighting that I recall….

To be honest, I’d really just like the knuckle coupler link-bar and I’d settle for Dapol selling that as a spares/accessory…. 🤣

I don’t have any scales to hand to weigh them unfortunately, but going on feel alone I would say 1 JHA is approximately equivalent to 1.5 HOAs. 

I’ll try and weigh them at some point to get a more accurate comparison! 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, JR_P said:

Apologies, I think I was thinking of the JNA/MMA rather than the HOA. 

The HOAs are not that far off the JHA at 32g vs 38g

jhaioa.jpg.1444d53f491551742fbd6a12ecc8a955.jpg

The JNA/MMA is considerably  lighter at just 20g:

jna.jpg.2bf62cc00bef2a2a179a1856fa85c7b1.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine arrived over the weekend. Even rotating the bogie you can feel drag of the flanges on the floor.

Here is how Farish solved the same problem on the BDA.

PSX_20221028_210254.jpg.6bb3239f37aeadfb554b339d99d61e59.jpg

I'll try to give them a test run on some Unitrak soon and see how they roll. I've got a few different off this week, so hopefully that'll give me a chance to get started on some decal design for them

Jo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomE said:

The HOAs are not that far off the JHA at 32g vs 38g

Excellent illustration there 🙂 ! Thanks for providing the comparisons.

I think that probably settles it for me; over-weighted and rubbing wheels is pretty much gonna make the ‘jumbo’ train impossible to pull if I add any Dapol JHAs….

I’ll spend the money on a few more Revolution JNAs in Touax livery instead 🙃 !

PS: also meant to say before that the train formation guide in the review was also really useful which I believe was the handiwork of @Steadfast - very nice 🙂 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2022 at 20:33, JR_P said:

Excellent illustration there 🙂 ! Thanks for providing the comparisons.

I think that probably settles it for me; over-weighted and rubbing wheels is pretty much gonna make the ‘jumbo’ train impossible to pull if I add any Dapol JHAs….

I’ll spend the money on a few more Revolution JNAs in Touax livery instead 🙃 !

PS: also meant to say before that the train formation guide in the review was also really useful which I believe was the handiwork of @Steadfast - very nice 🙂 

I really wouldn't worry about the weight - our 59s will make light work of these 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2022 at 21:18, Revolution Mike B said:

I really wouldn't worry about the weight - our 59s will make light work of these 🙂

I'm not so sure that they will make light work of them.  After buying some more JHAs at Warley, my CJM 59 can't manage 20, more like 10.  Need to investigate the weight and the removal thereof.  Hopefully won't turn in to more siding wagons......

1 hour ago, Clarkey77 said:

After buying some more JHAs at Warley, my CJM 59 can't manage 20, more like 10.  Need to investigate the weight and the removal thereof.  Hopefully won't turn in to more siding wagons......

Wasn't there a rumour years ago that a CJM loco with a Saturn chassis could pull the skin off a rice pudding?

It would therefore seem that 20 JHAs weigh more than one of those desserts 😉

Glad I didn't shell out for any JHAs although I really wanted some.  Perhaps a second run, if it happens, with rectified faults will encourage me to part with some cash?

Hi All,

i purchased and fitted some washers from Maxwells and it stopped the wheels rubbing on the bodies.

The brakes on the wagons still caused a dragging problem on corners so I removed all the brakes. They just clip out of the bogies.

The wagons now roll completely freely and there is no difficulty in locos pulling a long rake.

Cheers,

Ged.

• Like 3

On 08/12/2022 at 22:06, gedlee said:

Hi All,

i purchased and fitted some washers from Maxwells and it stopped the wheels rubbing on the bodies.

The brakes on the wagons still caused a dragging problem on corners so I removed all the brakes. They just clip out of the bogies.

The wagons now roll completely freely and there is no difficulty in locos pulling a long rake.

Cheers,

Ged.

The question is, why are we having to make these alterations to RTR items? 

I'm not afraid of a bit of modelling, but surely altering something as basic as ride height, and removing manufacturer-fitted detail, shouldn't be required.  We are buying working models, so, in my opinion, as long as the item resembles the prototype, movement should be top of the list to get spot on.  I can cope with a grill not being the correct one for that specific 37, or a window being there that shouldn't be, so extra tooling isn't required, but if the damn things don't run, the design brief hasn't been met.

To be fair to Dapol, though, they aren't the only ones with these issues, as both Farish and Revolution suffer similar running difficulties with a number of their products, BRA/BYA, IPA, IZA and IWA, all spring to mind.

Considering what we are paying, these days, at the very least, I would expect excellent running straight out of the box, however, this does not appear to always be the case.

Gripe over (bet you're all glad!) 🥴

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clarkey77 said:

<as both Farish and Revolution suffer similar running difficulties with a number of their products, BRA/BYA, IPA, IZA and IWA, all spring to mind.>

Gripe over (bet you're all glad!) 🥴

Paul.

Hello Paul,

The IPAs and IZAs have long wheelbases and will drag a little on first radius curves but this is down to the laws of physics.   Revolution recommends curves no tighter than 12".

A small number of early IZAs had problems with the brake blocks rubbing the wheels.  This was because the blocks were modelled in the scale location.  It wasn't picked up as an issue on any test samples where the parts were fitted together correctly but in mass production occasionally the blocks were misaligned; this can be corrected by bending them out fractionally. 

We learned from this and adjusted their position on the IPAs and I have not heard anyone complaining of poor running with the car carriers.

A small number of IWAs had the axle pin-points ground off by the factory because the axles were not to spec and too long.  We have replacements; if you need some please contact us.

I have a good dozen or so Farish BRA/BYA models and have never had any problems.  

I agree that there will always be occasional duds that slip through the QC net, but I don't think I know of any Revolution or recent Farish models that have issues baked in.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 12/12/2022 at 09:32, Revolution Ben said:

Hello Paul,

The IPAs and IZAs have long wheelbases and will drag a little on first radius curves but this is down to the laws of physics.   Revolution recommends curves no tighter than 12".

A small number of early IZAs had problems with the brake blocks rubbing the wheels.  This was because the blocks were modelled in the scale location.  It wasn't picked up as an issue on any test samples where the parts were fitted together correctly but in mass production occasionally the blocks were misaligned; this can be corrected by bending them out fractionally. 

We learned from this and adjusted their position on the IPAs and I have not heard anyone complaining of poor running with the car carriers.

A small number of IWAs had the axle pin-points ground off by the factory because the axles were not to spec and too long.  We have replacements; if you need some please contact us.

I have a good dozen or so Farish BRA/BYA models and have never had any problems.  

I agree that there will always be occasional duds that slip through the QC net, but I don't think I know of any Revolution or recent Farish models that have issues baked in.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben.   Given that the IZAs and IPAs have a comparable wheel base to the VGA made by Farish,  I can say that I have never had any drag-related running issues with those.  I can't, however, comment on the VGAs capabilities in terms of small radius curves, as I don't have anything that tight on my layout, so, unfortunately, I'm unable to provide any sort of comparison for you.

With regards to the running faults that you mention with the early IZAs, and also the small number of ground-down axle pin points fitted to the IWAs, it does appear that I may have just been very unlucky, probably, by the sounds of it, just managing to receive a high proportion of that very small number in the ones that I purchased.  This, however, doesn't take away from the fact that I have had to adjust factory fitted detail, and to also swap out manufacturer wheelsets (Kindly supplied by yourselves to rectify the issue), to allow for free running of items sold as Ready to Run models.

As for the Farish BRA/BYA, I have three or four where the wheel flanges (factory fitted axles) make contact with the chassis outriggers, and as a result, these ribs have had to be cut away, fortunately, in this instance, not detracting from the model in any way.

I must admit that the issues with the IPAs may not be down to the wagon itself, but probably more to do with my choice of traction.  Strangely, if not ironically, it's only the Revolution Class 92 that has issues pulling a few sets.  Perhaps these were left in the oven for too long? 

Apologies for taking this thread off on an RT tangent.  It was only my intention to illustrate that Dapol are not the only manufacturer to be infallible, and whilst saying that, I continue to support all that were mentioned.

Cheers, Paul.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone else had issues where the coupling has snapped?  Like a fool I got two each with a broken coupling - I’ve made one good out of the pair but Dapol don’t supply the coupling as a spare.

811BD297-39C1-4B85-9B3B-B24370E9B00C.jpeg.37fb4a1ecec2b951be6ddc455b2e6b4c.jpeg

It looks like it’s made from very flimsy, brittle plastic, so I’m not surprised it’s broken - I would have thought something tougher would be needed for something like a coupler - but I was surprised that it can’t be replaced.  

79F12E53-7ADD-49FA-A43C-3CAB1B44F4D9.jpeg.9ccac7deb98ccf826f8363bfbeeda6f5.jpeg

It’s also quite an effort to get into the model to swap the couplers over - I’m not surprised they seem ‘heavy’ with all the bits, I can’t help feeling some of the over-complication has left room for the running issues to be designed in.  The chassis is cast as are the ends (the wedge shaped bits at the bottom of the picture above) - they form part of the side of the end moulding, and the sides clip into them so they’d have to be replaced by something printed to bring the weight down if weights an issue for you.

I reckon the wagon with no couplers will go in the bin, which feels wasteful.  I can’t help feeling the others are going on eBay if the couplings keep snapping.  The price of the wagon I expect better and I hope it’s not a sign of how things are going to be with Dapol wagons going forwards.

Edited by MrSimon
Added the bit about weight
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

Has anyone else had issues where the coupling has snapped?  Like a fool I got two each with a broken coupling - I’ve made one good out of the pair but Dapol don’t supply the coupling as a spare.

811BD297-39C1-4B85-9B3B-B24370E9B00C.jpeg.37fb4a1ecec2b951be6ddc455b2e6b4c.jpeg

It looks like it’s made from very flimsy, brittle plastic, so I’m not surprised it’s broken - I would have thought something tougher would be needed for something like a coupler - but I was surprised that it can’t be replaced.  

79F12E53-7ADD-49FA-A43C-3CAB1B44F4D9.jpeg.9ccac7deb98ccf826f8363bfbeeda6f5.jpeg

It’s also quite an effort to get into the model to swap the couplers over - I’m not surprised they seem ‘heavy’ with all the bits, I can’t help feeling some of the over-complication has left room for the running issues to be designed in.

I reckon the wagon with no couplers will go in the bin, which feels wasteful.  I can’t help feeling the others are going on eBay if the couplings keep snapping.  The price of the wagon I expect better and I hope it’s not a sign of how things are going to be with Dapol wagons going forwards.

Hi Simon,

I've not got any broken couplers on my 5, but felt lucky when I checked them over after reports from a few others at the time.

If you get round to offloading the one with no couplings, drop me a message with what you're after for it. I'm sure I could do something with it rather than feeding the bin monster.

All the best

Jo

• Like 2