Hunt's couplings/Magnem

MOH

Hi,

Apologies if the terms in the title are amiss and if this is not in the right forum location, my query is if there is an area on RMW dealing with couplings or can anyone point me towards some previous topic discussion please.

My interest is in achieving better and more secure couplings on fixed rakes rather then swapping around rolling stock so the Hunt's products appears to be suitable.

Also seen a while ago mention of what I believe are called MagNem, which are a further refinement on the magnetic coupling theme with greater flexibility if one did wish to swap stcock around, from last experience I believe the Hunt's were out of stock.

MagNem couplings were originally announced when there was only the original Hunts couplings available, naturally since then Hunts have introduced the Elite range which does the same but with one larger magnet than the 2 used in the MagNem couplings. 

Many thanks,

Has anyone any idea on the availability of both Hunt and MagNem products and where they can be bought from?

Also, most of my rolling stock is  not NEM compatible, is that a deal breaker for these types of couplings or can the rolling stock be adapted/modified somehow to take these couplings?

I had never heard of Magnem before this thread.  Are these what you re talking about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233848861148

The manufacturer isn't stated, but they don't look like Hunt.  Are they Magnem, or are they yet another ?

I thought the Hunt couplings were patented, but these look much the same thing.

Perhaps patent law isn't that effective for such ideas in the era of internet and 3D printing?

1 hour ago, MOH said:

Many thanks,

Has anyone any idea on the availability of both Hunt and MagNem products and where they can be bought from?

Also, most of my rolling stock is  not NEM compatible, is that a deal breaker for these types of couplings or can the rolling stock be adapted/modified somehow to take these couplings?

The Magnem system is sold on this website https://www.glrailways.co.uk/oo-gauge-magnem-standard-width-omni-couplings---these-ignore-magnetic-polarity-821-p.asp and the Hunt Elite here https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/hunt-couplings-c-2/hunt-couplings-elite-oo-gauge-c-21/  Westhill seem to offer alternative NEM pockets to make their coupling fit non-NEM fitted stock, and GLR have some non-NEM couplings - coded MagNoNEM (see what they've done there?)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I had never heard of Magnem before this thread.  Are these what you re talking about?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233848861148

The manufacturer isn't stated, but they don't look like Hunt.  Are they Magnem, or are they yet another ?

I thought the Hunt couplings were patented, but these look much the same thing.

Perhaps patent law isn't that effective for such ideas in the era of internet and 3D printing?

You seem to have found yet another supplier of magnetic couplings, the second photo shows the name as Porter House MODELS.

Competition and choice is a good thing, but it's worth pointing out that these different systems are not going to be compatible as they are all using different magnets and mounting them differently.

• Agree 1

Again many thanks to all respondents,

Here's the kicker, most of my 00 gauge rolling stock is quite old and does not have NEM pockets, fully aware that there are multiple versions of Hornby, Bachmann etc. couplings involved here are there conversion kits that will allow me to retro fit NEM couplings and has anyone done that type of project, how successful was that and where does one buy the conversion kits from, if available?

There  are various NEM mountings on the market and similarly various mountings for tension lock etc.  The problem is that if you have, as many older modellers do, a collection of stock from different manufacturers produced over a long period of years, what you have needs different mounts for different vehicles,  One of the issues is whether the existing coupling and/or the new is bogie mounted rather than body mounted.

If you have a large fleet to convert, there is a case for keeping existing couplings within a rake and fitting a new coupling of your chosen new standard to all the locos and the ends of the rakes.  Otherwise you are going to be into the game of converter wagons.  As part of a conversion programme, It's probably worth considering whether you want to flog off your older stock that isn't really up to modern standards, and perhaps even also those that are "too difficult" to convert easily.

The first thing to do though is to decide which coupling you will standardise on.  I have been using tension-locks, preferring the old big metal Tri-ang ones, but they do look dreadful, and I am contemplating a conversion to magnetic, probably Hunt.  However I first need to do a trial with a long train on gradients, and I have other higher priority jobs to do first.

• Agree 1

Thanks,

Dungranges' conversion option is very interesting and may be worth at least a trial attempt, however Michaels' point on possibly having to get into replacement with new stock may be nearer the final outcome I am afraid, the amount and variety of my current rolling stock may be prohibitive I fear.

Unlike years ago when starting off and impulse buying stock without any real research or definition of what the final culture of the layout may become I may well settle now for a much reduced array of stock of modern manufacture and just use the old stock for background and atmospheric purposes, I suppose we ought to be grateful for the modern advances in technology, which should ensure hassle free train running, and fork out the cash!

• Like 1

Hi,

I hope this does not infringe RM rules but I rang Westhill yesterday and got speaking to Chris Hunt, he of the couplings production, and he told me he will, hopefully, be launching a new product at the upcoming exhibition in, I think, Milton Keynes.

This product is aimed at people like myself with older coaching stock without NEM pockets and apparently will provide a hassle free method of conversion without a total butchering of the stock.

I will be getting back in touch with Chris when that exhibition has taken place and perhaps the new product will answer my, and others, dilemma.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2021 at 11:22, MOH said:

Hi,

I hope this does not infringe RM rules but I rang Westhill yesterday and got speaking to Chris Hunt, he of the couplings production, and he told me he will, hopefully, be launching a new product at the upcoming exhibition in, I think, Milton Keynes.

This product is aimed at people like myself with older coaching stock without NEM pockets and apparently will provide a hassle free method of conversion without a total butchering of the stock.

I will be getting back in touch with Chris when that exhibition has taken place and perhaps the new product will answer my, and others, dilemma.

Thanks buddy.

Phil