Templot via Winebottler - none starter!

Suffolk Dave

So, I followed the advice seen here and on Templot about loading Templot on to my Mac. I downloaded Winebottler and then downloaded Templot (or what seems to be start up .exe file for Templot) 

However, I can't seem to move any further forward. The downloaded Templot file won't open when I right-click on it and try to use Wine (the default option). When attempting via Winebottler the only option seems to be to use the 'advanced' paged but this only creates an error message when I try it.

I know it said some technical knowledge was necessary but the 'advanced' option in Winebottler may as well be written in Mandarin for what I can make of it! 

Is there anyone out there who help - please... pretty please...  

810170586_Screenshot2021-09-11at18_08_11.png.416c399c6a352881ecd2b7b7d23da32e.png

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried just cliknig the 'Install' button with the default options? You can probably untick the Mono option as I don't think Templot needs that.

I've never tried on a Mac, but have run Templot quite happily on Linux using Wine, I don't remember having to do anything special or change any settings from the defaults.

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Have you tried just cliknig the 'Install' button with the default options? You can probably untick the Mono option as I don't think Templot needs that.

I've never tried on a Mac, but have run Templot quite happily on Linux using Wine, I don't remember having to do anything special or change any settings from the defaults.

Hi Nick

I tried everything short of bribery and blackmail! 

In the end I've gone for one of the other recommended options: installing Crossover. This has a cost implication but it does allow a 14 day free trial beforehand.

So far I've had Templot running but at least once it has stalled and had to be 'force quit'. As I'm a Templot newbie I suppose I've got a couple of weeks to make my mind up about the whole adventure. 

Dave

I seem to remember seeing that Wine is no longer suitable for the latest Mac OS. It would only work with the paid version of Crossover. I had no end of trouble with my Macbook over Christmas when I installed the latest Mac OS (Sierra?) and found Templot didn't work with Wine.

As a result I uninstalled the lates OS and reverted to the previous one, in the process pressing the wrong delete button and deleted my backup disc entirely, along with my music collection of over 24,000 songs!! It's taken all this time to try to get most of them back! I haven't tried Templot recently, but it seemed to work on here with the older Mac OS with Crossover.

Don't give up with Templot, once you've got it running and mastered the basics (which I'm doing after 12 years of using it) it's a pleasure making track that looks right.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

As a result I uninstalled the lates OS and reverted to the previous one, in the process pressing the wrong delete button and deleted my backup disc entirely, along with my music collection of over 24,000 songs!! It's taken all this time to try to get most of them back!

You have my every sympathy!

Even after all these years home computing still feels as reliable as a 1970's Austin Allegro built on a Friday afternoon... 

On 13/09/2021 at 08:01, Suffolk Dave said:

In the end I've gone for one of the other recommended options: installing Crossover. This has a cost implication but it does allow a 14 day free trial beforehand.

Hi,

FWIW I was using Wine to run the Roco Z21 maintenance app on my Mac Mini, but after an upgrade to the latest OS wine was no longer available.

I went for the cheapest Crossover option and it works, but IMHO it's not as intuitive as Wine was.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

I'm now discovering there seems to be some functions that don't work that with the Mac-Crossover combo. For example, I can't place track/templates over a map. 

Templot does work with Crossover but it feels it will only function at a basic level - which, I guess, is better than not working at all! 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Suffolk Dave said:

I'm now discovering there seems to be some functions that don't work that with the Mac-Crossover combo. For example, I can't place track/templates over a map. 

Templot does work with Crossover but it feels it will only function at a basic level - which, I guess, is better than not working at all! 

Hi Dave,

I test Templot in CrossOver, but on Ubuntu/Linux as I don't have (or want) any access to Apple products. I do try to make as much of Templot as possible work in CrossOver, even though it is really a Windows program. Most of it does work in CrossOver.

One of the things which doesn't work, unless it's in a very good mood, is the Windows embedded browser for making map screenshots. That's because NLS have made changes to their web site recently.

However, in the current versions of Templot you no longer need it for the historic maps from NLS, because you can now load their tiled maps instead, and that's working fine in CrossOver on Ubuntu (I just checked), so it ought to work on a Mac.

To load a tiled map, see the instructions here:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?threads/changes-in-templot-version-227.180/post-1548

Placing templates over the map should work fine, no problems here.

If you get stuck, please ask about technical stuff on Templot Club rather than RMweb.

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks for your thoughts and observations on this Martin. I’ll have to check out what you suggest. I don’t know if it makes a difference but I’m using the 14 day free trial of Crossover. 

As a complete aside, being a newbie, I’ve been making my way through the 2mm Association YouTube Templot tutorials and finding them very useful and informative. 

• Like 1