Updating Firmware for Z21 Start / MultiMAUS

JonathanDavidson

I'm fairly news to DCC so I hope these questions won't be too basic. I have a Roco Z21Start DCC control set with a MultiMAUS handset. It is a few years old and I think the firmware needs updating as I can only access Function buttons F1 to F19 but have Function options  on my newly converted locomotives up to F29.

I am confused about whether I need to update the firmware on the Z21 unit or the MultiMAUS handset or both. Also, as I am not using a WiFi router how should I connect the Z21 unit or/and the MultiMAUS handset to my PC to allow me to access the Roco software?  

Would it be easier to get a Roco dealer to do this, and if so any recommendations? Apologies for so many questions. Thanks in advance for any answers. 

I believe that you can connect to the z21 using the network to update firmware but not control anything. To control items you need to purchase the Unlock Code from Roco.

you should update both because if the Multimaus software is out of date then the z21 will also be out of date. The latest version is here

https://www.z21.eu/de/downloads/software-tools

• Like 1

IIRC, you can  connect the z21 to your PC and download the Z21 Maintenance tool. This will allow you to upgrade both the z21 and the Multimaus.

You ONLY need the unlock code if you are going to connect a WiFi router to your z21.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

You ONLY need the unlock code if you are going to connect a WiFi router to your z21.

The z21 doesn’t know what you have connected to the LAN port, it simply sees a network connection.

As I said earlier you need the unlock code if you want to control anything via the network. This would apply to a WiFi connected phone or WiFi Multimaus that are connected to the z21 through the network port but not for a wired Multimaus connected to the X-Bus.

You can however, connect via the LAN to a computer to update the z21 firmware.

Edited by WIMorrison
Spelling

5 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

The z21 doesn’t know what you have connected to the LAN port, it simply sees a network connection.

As I said earlier you need the unlock code if you want to control anything via the network. This would apply to a WiFi connected phone or WiFi Multimaus that are connected to the z21 through the network port but not for a wired Multimaus connected to the X-Bus.

You can however, connect via the LAN to a computer to update the z21 firmware.

So, if you're only connecting a computer to the z21 and there's no WiFi in sight, you don't need an unlock code?

The Unlock code only connects the WiFi doesn't it?

54 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

NO - you cannot plug a LAN cable into a USB port!!!

Use a network cable from your z21 to your home router. You will also need to ensure that you PC is on the same default network as your z21 which by default has the address 192.168.0.111.

Download the software from Roco.

Just plug the network cable into the z21 and the computer, set the computer's static address to 192.168.0.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and go!

Maintenance software will talk direct to the z21.

If your home router is not on 192.168.0.xxx, it will never find the z21! (With or without the unlock code)

Edited by JohnDMJ

May I suggest that the OP finds out who the UK importer for Roco is and gives them a ring? Say they have a z21 networking problem.

The z21 and most computers have a sensing internet port arrangement which renders the crossover cable unnecessary!

BTW, what computer does the OP have to do this with? It will only work on Windows! (and it is the same software that is required to apply the unnecessary unlock code!)

5 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

The z21 and most computers have a sensing internet port arrangement which renders the crossover cable unnecessary!

Really? Please don’t presume that your experience represents anything else other than your experience.

BTW, the z21 does not have an internet port, it has a network interface which has nothing to do with the internet.

And all said without any exclamation marks.

3 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Really? Please don’t presume that your experience represents anything else other than your experience.

BTW, the z21 does not have an internet port, it has a network interface which has nothing to do with the internet.

And all said without any exclamation marks.

The z21 and the computer have LAN ports which can be used to connect to the internet through a WAN port.

You only need to connect the LAN ports to effect the update or the unlock processes.

To reiterate:

15 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

May I suggest that the OP finds out who the UK importer for Roco is and gives them a ring? Say they have a z21 networking problem.

@JonathanDavidson What type of computer operating system (Windows, Linux, iWhatever) are you using, and, with all due respect, how computer savvy are you? (By which I mean could you configure a network card?)

Roco's Z21 Maintenance Tool only works properly under Windows and via a direct LAN connection. Guessing you're probably running Windows, do you know how to configure a network card to a fixed address? If not, you will need to seek assistance as the computer must be hard configured to speak directly with the z21 over this isolated LAN. If you can answer Yes to being able to sort these, then, IMHO, @JohnDMJ's advice holds:

On 12/09/2021 at 18:44, JohnDMJ said:

If you are not running Windows then probably https://www.roco.cc/en/aboutus/contactform/index.html will be your best bet. They speak good English!  

15 hours ago, BokStein said:

@JonathanDavidson What type of computer operating system (Windows, Linux, iWhatever) are you using, and, with all due respect, how computer savvy are you? (By which I mean could you configure a network card?)

Roco's Z21 Maintenance Tool only works properly under Windows and via a direct LAN connection. Guessing you're probably running Windows, do you know how to configure a network card to a fixed address? If not, you will need to seek assistance as the computer must be hard configured to speak directly with the z21 over this isolated LAN. If you can answer Yes to being able to sort these, then, IMHO, @JohnDMJ's advice holds:

If you are not running Windows then probably https://www.roco.cc/en/aboutus/contactform/index.html will be your best bet. They speak good English!  

@BokSteinMany thanks for your note. I am using Windows but I wouldn't say I am particularly savvy and as I rely on my computer for my work I'd sooner not risk messing anything up. I'll drop Roco a note and see if there is a dealer I can send or take the Z21 and/or MulitMAUS into. Thanks again and to @JohnDMJ too. 

OK, so your first step in to download the z21 maintenance software. https://www.z21.eu/en/downloads/software-tools but read the screens it invokes!

You use your computer for work. Check with your IT department for their advice on how to connect to a specific IP address (192.68.0.100/24 is what I would configure my laptop to to talk with the z21) and ask them to check that, once your devices have been upgraded, they can help you get back onto the work system. If in ANY doubt, seek their advice and even be prepared to take your z21 to them for help. Don't ask, don't get!

• Like 1