Converting a Stanier riveted tender to a welded version

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’ve recently purchased a Bachmann Jubilee, 45596 “Bahamas” which is I believe to be one of Bachmann’s first releases.  The model has a 3500 gallon (I think) riveted tender but I want to convert it to a 4000 gallon welded version, as per the tender it’s running with now.

The obvious start would be to gently remove the rivets with some fine wet and dry, but are there any other details I need to add/remove?  Any help would be most helpful.

On 12/09/2021 at 01:48, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently purchased a Bachmann Jubilee, 45596 “Bahamas” which is I believe to be one of Bachmann’s first releases.  The model has a 3500 gallon (I think) riveted tender but I want to convert it to a 4000 gallon welded version, as per the tender it’s running with now.

The obvious start would be to gently remove the rivets with some fine wet and dry, but are there any other details I need to add/remove?  Any help would be most helpful.

I wouldn't be too confident that it is the 3500g example, as I don't believe anyone has ever done this RTR - I'll be delighted to be corrected if I'm wrong as I'd like one! I'd always thought that the 3500g ones were a bit shorter, as I've seen a conversion somewhere from an RTR example that the chap cut the body into three and removed some length.

You probably need to check which rivets to remove, as some of the Stanier tenders I think has smooth sides but with a few rivets on the back. Some of the Black 5's had part welded tenders, so some but less rivets on the sides than the fully riveted, I don't know if this applied to the Jubiless or not.

This isn't one of my specialties as you can see, but I suggest you do gather some firm gen. before taking wet and dry to plastic!

John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I wouldn't be too confident that it is the 3500g example, as I don't believe anyone has ever done this RTR - I'll be delighted to be corrected if I'm wrong as I'd like one! I'd always thought that the 3500g ones were a bit shorter, as I've seen a conversion somewhere from an RTR example that the chap cut the body into three and removed some length.

You probably need to check which rivets to remove, as some of the Stanier tenders I think has smooth sides but with a few rivets on the back. Some of the Black 5's had part welded tenders, so some but less rivets on the sides than the fully riveted, I don't know if this applied to the Jubiless or not.

This isn't one of my specialties as you can see, but I suggest you do gather some firm gen. before taking wet and dry to plastic!

John.

John is right, because Bachmann have never done a 3500 gallon Stanier tender, nor has anyone else RTR. The only one I'm aware of is a K's white metal kit.

I have done the same exercise with an old Hornby Dublo tender (mazak cast) with some success, so you should be fine with fine emery on plastic.

I hate to add an awkward note, but Bachmann's model of Bahamas used a long firebox body shell to which a double chimney was applied. The real Bahamas is a short firebox loco as per their more recent releases, but ironically Bachmann haven't yet chosen that option to produce.

I guess it all depends how "picky" you are!

PS The only LFB Jubilee to carry a double chimney was Connaught (5742), one of Bushbury's best, but it lost it in 1956.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1