Kerr Stuart Victory class 0-6-0T - conversion to P4 - suitable wheels?

• RMweb Gold

This is a duplicate of a post I have added to the Planet Industrials thread, as I ponder the hoped-for conversion of their new model to P4, namely - what is the wheel diameter of the prototype driving wheels, please and is anyone aware of an existing product (eg. by Alan Gibson) that would suit this loco?

The diameter seems to be 4' 0", as stated here - https://planetindustrials.co.uk/victory

Alan Gibson pack reference 4848G is for a 4' 0" diameter, 15 spoke wheel for a GER prototype, but in terms of crank pin position it doesn't seem correct and I'm not sure how many spokes the prototype Victory class actually had, as some are hidden behind the balance weights, but I could guess at 14.

Many thanks.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Gordon A said:

If none available get some 3D printed centres made to fit Gibson rims.

Now you are talking about something way outside of my comfort zone, Gordon!

Who might produce such 3D printed centres, please, are you referring to the David Lanebigcheeseplant ones for the Barclays?

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Now you are talking about something way outside of my comfort zone, Gordon!

Who might produce such 3D printed centres, please, are you referring to the David Lanebigcheeseplant ones for the Barclays?

Yes. You could either ask him to copy the style of 00 wheel already fitted, or do some research for pictures or drawings of the wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

PGH made his own wheel centres in 7mm scale for his scratch built model. He doesn't post here anymore but can be found over on Western Thunder. Obviously Narrow Planet must also have this info, or know someone who does. 

This may all be academic ofcourse as the clearance of the motion bracket, slide bars, crosshead and overall assembly is unknown at this stage. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if the wheels are plastic centred or cast with a bush - early test shots appeared to be castings - but given the subject, that the prototype seem to have the balance weight as part of the wheel casting, re-machining the models wheels, either just turning down the tyres to suit, or taking them off and fitting Gibson tyres ( if feasible), might be the easiest options always assuming the other aspects mentioned can be overcome.

On 12/09/2021 at 09:53, Captain Kernow said:

I'm not sure how many spokes the prototype Victory class actually had, as some are hidden behind the balance weights, but I could guess at 14.

The drawing shows clearly that it is an odd rather than an even number of spokes as they don't go straight though the central boss.  It looks like a15 spoke wheel to me.

• Informative/Useful 1

Looking at the Don Townsley drawing in the September 1966 Railway Modeller I would say 14 spokes, pin between spokes. You have to guess where they would be if they weren't obscured by the big balance weights though. Probably not appropriate to put the drawing on here but happy to PM it to you.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2021 at 13:58, Barclay said:

Looking at the Don Townsley drawing in the September 1966 Railway Modeller I would say 14 spokes, pin between spokes. You have to guess where they would be if they weren't obscured by the big balance weights though. Probably not appropriate to put the drawing on here but happy to PM it to you.

Thanks Barclay, a PM with the drawing would be very much appreciated.

• Captain Kernow changed the title to Kerr Stuart Victory class 0-6-0T - conversion to P4 - suitable wheels?