NBR cattle wagon kit modification advice required. (Springing).

Haggerleases

Hi all.

I'm very new to the hobby, and busy soldering up this kit, https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/nbrd067/. And so far, It's going really well, however, the kit has these, https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/nbrc015/ which I've fitted, but I've decided I want my wheels to be sprung. Can anyone point me to exactly what I need to purchase to do this? Something that will fit in between these axleguards and enable both axles to be sprung.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps a link to exactly what I need?

Kind regards

Haggerleases.

I suggest that what you want to do is fit the wagon with compensation rather than springing.

Obtain "Pre-Group Wagon W-Irons" from Wizard Models.  These will cost about £5 for 8 pairs.  They can be made up rigid or rocking.  Make up one of each.  Separate the axlebox from the spring on two of the axleguard castings.  File the top of the two axleboxes and the bottom of two springs such that there is a gap of about 2mm between them.  Solder these two axleboxes to the "rocking" W-Iron.  The solid axleguards are used with the "rigid" W-Iron.

Might sound complicated but it is quite simple.  Wizard should be able to supply an excellent instruction leaflet.  The wagon will need a floor, which can be a piece of plastikard, as the W-Irons glue to the floor.

I have done springing in both 4mm and 7mm using the W irons that Paul linked to.  They are a bit more difficult than compensation but the wagon runs very smoothly when sprung.

My guess would be RCH 1907 since your wagon was originally pre grouping.  However, you will want to compare the pattern of W iron that your wagon has with those on offer. 

The etched W iron is supposed to replace the kit W iron so be sure to recover the springs and axleboxes.  If there's room you can put the etched W irons behind the kit W irons.  IIRC,  waisted bearings are best for this job.

John

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Haggerleases said:

Would the RCH w irons etc. have been a later mod? What would the vehicle have been built with? 

I think that's a research thing.  Someone here who is knows about NBR may be able to answer.  Simplest is to compare the W irons of the kit with the etched ones. 

John