Thomas: a defense of the new concepts, a criticism of their implementation, and a ridicule of the new new version.

DK123GWR

4 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Every night we read at least 4 books together where now he's starting to point out certain things and say what they are, and even makes efforts to count them.

Sounds like a great opportunity to introduce him to the "real" Thomas books. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Reading this thread is down right depressing. It's very very sad what has happened to Thomas, it was the horrible American accents they have given to the engines that finally inspired me to type something up. 

I'm just at that age to be lucky enough to have read Thomas the Tank Engine books as a kid. My favorite two stories have always been the very first one where Thomas forgets to couple up to the train and the race with Bertie The Bus. (I still love the idea of having a banking engine on the layout  and of course buses will never win). Having said that I'd like to raise a point. Stories! Kids learn from bed time stories. I read them to my boy and hopefully he'll have a kid of his own one day and will follow suit. It seems to me that something more valuable has been lost here despite all the lets cash in mentality.  How did it come to it that these fantastic stories handed down through the pages of the late Rev. W. Awdry have found their way onto the big screen in such a pathetic manner which I truly hope doesn't kill the legacy by having made things down right babyish.  

One thing we must not forget is that the stories still exist. They can still be read to kids at bed time for generations to come and some of those kids will hopefully get inspired by them, I know my kid did as did my nephew over here. He received the books as a Christmas gift from his uncle after I hunted them down on eBay for a sensible price. What's more is that at the local train show in Medford it's amazing how many youngsters recognize a lot of my trains from the Thomas series.

Perhaps the new owners of the franchise might have been better off investing in a reprint of the stories or even paying Christopher Awdry to write some new ones; or both!     

Just to restore some faith then, here's my nephew Zane at the services on Interstate 5 in Sothern Oregon a few years back; after his mom pulled in for a pee. I doubt as a 5 year old he would grasp the sheer volume of luck he had that day.

491193225_ThomasonI5.JPG.3d730d4050278b6c2fef496856e79497.JPG

Regards to all Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
After all these years I have noticed that's a plywood mock up!

• 2 months later...
On 12/09/2021 at 20:57, RJS1977 said:

Instead we wound up in the ludicrous situation where the rights holders for the TV series were able to compel Christopher to stop writing, and to prevent the re-publication of the books in their original format!

No-one made him sell the rights. 

35 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

No-one made him sell the rights. 

True, but I can't think of any other case of film/TV rights to literary works being sold that have wound up with the author/their estate being prevented from writing further works - e.g. the Agatha Christie estate commissioned a new Poirot story a while back, the Fleming estate have commissioned various continuation novels. As I said, all I can think was Wilbert either didn't get sufficient legal advice, or was badly advised.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

True, but I can't think of any other case of film/TV rights to literary works being sold that have wound up with the author/their estate being prevented from writing further works - e.g. the Agatha Christie estate commissioned a new Poirot story a while back, the Fleming estate have commissioned various continuation novels. As I said, all I can think was Wilbert either didn't get sufficient legal advice, or was badly advised.

Or maybe just never conceived of such an outcome?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...