Drawing and printing GWR Edwardian rolling stock

Now I am retired, I am trying to teaching myself Fusion 360. But I am hitting a road block, as to how to draw rivets on saddle tanks, or firebox surfaces, I want to print some more obscure GWR Dean era engines that are not available as kits.

variations of the 3521 class as used on the Falmouth branch circa 1907, is what I am aiming for in three different boiler configurations.

Hope you can follow this, there was a glitch in sketch 2 which locked the sketch as fully defined in the wrong place, which I then had to correct after the fact. When using pattern on path for this, the important thing is that the path runs from centre to centre of the rivets, otherwise it can have all sorts of weird and unintended effects. This is why I create sketch 2 rather than use the curve of the tank created in sketch 1. Also note that I drag the arrow round rather than enter a value, as it will automatically snap to the end point of the profile when I get to it. I also extrude in 2 directions so that the rivet meets the curve of the saddle tank , otherwise it would be a hemisphere floating above it, only meeting in the centre. 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Hope you can follow this, there was a glitch in sketch 2 which locked the sketch as fully defined in the wrong place, which I then had to correct after the fact. When using pattern on path for this, the important thing is that the path runs from centre to centre of the rivets, otherwise it can have all sorts of weird and unintended effects. This is why I create sketch 2 rather than use the curve of the tank created in sketch 1. Also note that I drag the arrow round rather than enter a value, as it will automatically snap to the end point of the profile when I get to it. I also extrude in 2 directions so that the rivet meets the curve of the saddle tank , otherwise it would be a hemisphere floating above it, only meeting in the centre. 

thanks for your reply, I see I was missing a step, which was why the rivets were ending up in some weird places. I will give this a go let you know how it goes.

• stevel changed the title to Drawing and printing GWR Edwardian rolling stock