Colmans Mustard

Bassendale

Not seen that, but have seen beer cans (with knob on top).    As to innards, any design you wish, just put together the control circuit.   Basic 12v control is not complicated - couple of transistors and a few resistors and its about done.   There are dozens of published designs, of varying complexity and varying quality of output control.   

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Er, looks good, but why?    Wouldn't it  be better to have a centre off control knob like a Morley  and just have a potentiometer and knob in the hand held and keep the rest attached to the baseboard?

DSCN5649.JPG

Edited by DCB
Add picture

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, DCB said:

Er, looks good, but why?    Wouldn't it  be better to have a centre off control knob like a Morley  and just have a potentiometer and knob in the hand held and keep the rest attached to the baseboard?

Something called personal choice I guess?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCB said:

I like centre-off controllers too but it's not so simple to make one using an off-the-shelf potentiometer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCB said:

Because I could :dancer:

• Agree 1

Hi Stuart,

No problem - input is 16v AC.

To convert it to DC I used one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264940437804?hash=item3dafae412c:g:VDgAAOSwZzxgyVLF

then used an LM7812 voltage regulator to give a steady 12v output. The rectifier above has an output of 22v DC from a 16v AC input, so a bit high :).

The 12v DC output from the LM7812 then goes in to one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193312727515

which controls the voltage to the track. It has an "off" position on the pot. which is handy.

The track output goes through a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity and give forward and reverse control.

I got the bits from AliExpress - with a bit of a wait - for a good bit less than Ebay sellers want for them. This was however well pre Br%xit so import charges may well be a factor now.

Hope this helps,

Les