LMS Stanier Period III Buffet Roof Details

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I am building a Comet Kits LMS Buffet Car (LMS Period III). I have searched for a drawing of the roof details - anyone know if one exists? and if it does can I get a copy please?

Baz

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I hope the roof details are more correct than the interior drawing... which bears little resemblance to the photographs of the real thing.

Baz

It's a bit basic, but the interior plan broadly agrees with what's shown in Jenkinson and Essery (plan and presumably as built photos). Seat mounts aren't really taken into account in either drawing. Roof detail seems to fit the photos. Very different internally to D1848 as built.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

The photos of the serving bar are very different to the plan.  If I could get to the Severn valley I would be better placed to check it .

Baz

The SVR don't have a D1948, do they? They do have this rebuilt TO:

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=688

Rebuilt in the same style. There's a suggestion it has an extra 3 seats if the number quoted of 27 rather than 24 is correct.  It certainly has the wrong window layout on the double seating side. Note extra small window at the far end in this view (photo by Hugh Llewelyn on Flickr):

LMS Stanier Buffet Car No.149

It looks very much like a D1948, but with either the kitchen/counter reduced in length or perhaps just the gap between seats and counter reduced.

This view (photo by shed83A):

149 - LMS Bar Car interior  03/10/14

shows that they've done a great job of creating something with the character of the interior shown at p47 of LMS Standard Coaching Stock Vol.2. It also shows how hard it is to judge counter and kitchen lengths from this angle.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon

That must be where the floor plan has come from. The bar area is a lot bigger on the one shown. Looking at the earlier LMS interior photos you can see the bar has a lift up flapforentry into the very tight serving space.

Thanks for the photos b the way.

Baz