7mm question

Hello all, 

Another daft question here. What's the average dimension of a standard door in 7mm scale? I've nothing to use as a reference - I know I could work it out by scaling up a door, but was hoping someone more familiar with this scale might have some buildings that they could measure for me!

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all, 

Another daft question here. What's the average dimension of a standard door in 7mm scale? I've nothing to use as a reference - I know I could work it out by scaling up a door, but was hoping someone more familiar with this scale might have some buildings that they could measure for me!

Thank you!

Another daft question : what is a standard door?

45x18mm might be a good start.

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Gold

I think you need to be a bit more specific... 

Doors will vary according to function and location , and have probably got bigger over time. An entrance door to a hotel will likely be bigger than an entrance door to a terraced house, for instance 

Railway carriage doors have definitely got bigger over time... 

Edited by flockandroll
Add reference to carriage doors
  • Like 1

I'm just trying to build a very basic structure in 7mm, mainly to find out whether I can actually do it before committing any further.

So, something like a platelayers-type hut or a shed. I want to have a go at producing scribed stonework in DAS clay so want to be able to figure some basic dimensions to enable me to have a crack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I'm just trying to build a very basic structure in 7mm, mainly to find out whether I can actually do it before committing any further.

So, something like a platelayers-type hut or a shed. I want to have a go at producing scribed stonework in DAS clay so want to be able to figure some basic dimensions to enable me to have a crack.

Ring up a couple of friends and ask them for those dimensions, assuming you don't have a shed yourself.

A shed door will usually be a bit tighter than say a house door.

• Like 1

Hello, the only daft question is the one we don't ask, when we need to know something ;).

If you do go 7mm scale, and intend to scratch build some structures, I would highly recommend investing in an Expo 7mm scale steel rule for checking measurements before committing to cutting.

Yes we can measure and convert and write things down, but sometimes the old brain fog, or grey cells maybe on slow operating speed, so always handy to have one of these, measure a thousand times, cut once !

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

6'6" x 2'6"

6'8" x 2'8"

6'9" x 2'9" have all been quite common dimensions in properties where I've worked.

You may wish to convert those to 7mm scale.

• Like 1

have you a scrap box of plastikard and microstrip?  

most of my shed and cottage doors are sized by the width of Slater's 4mm scale embossed planking. The great joy of modelling buildings is the freedom from exact engineering measurements and rivet counting. If it looks right it probably is.