Henley 1827 to 1967: Memories, Reflections, a Bit of Humor

Chops

First off, this is by no means comparative to Mr. Ball's masterpiece "Henley-on-the-Thames: 1930." Nor could it, as his work is well above my pay grade. 

Model railroading is folk art. Model railroaders are creating 3-dimensional paintings of nostalgia typically centered around railways, so as to communicate a mood, a memory or an impression, to those whom might listen. 

Absolutely all reality is memory. What you had for tea is memory. The heart surgeon, delicately suturing tiny coronary arteries is functioning on memory. The pilot who seamlessly flew you to Portugal is functioning on memory, as is the butcher, the baker, and candle stick maker. 

Some memories require exactitude, while nostalgia becomes a water color of blurred lines, colors, and scents. When one creates a circle of track around the Christmas tree, or an O scale opus spanning an aerodrome, the effect is to capture an ambiance and to communicate it. 

My first train set was received with much fascination in 1966, I believe it was a Wrenn wind-up affair, and I still have a surviving Golliwog wagon that came in it. To make a long winded story short, we lived in Shiplake from '66 to'67 whilst father did sabbatical at Oxford. I came to love those green pastures, and the serene Thames, and orderly locks and canals. And most of all, the trains bustling hither and to, on speedy missions, captivated me. 

So, 5,000 miles and three decades later, tentative work was started on a little 4x8 which grew into what it now called "Henley." There is no Norman castle in the real Henley, nor dinosaur digs, nor "Catford Urns" (a whimsical neolithic brewery), and certainly not the extraordinary Sutton Hoo nor Stonehenge. And of course, the Loch Ness Monster resides well to the North in Scotland, although she is oft seen lurking in the castle moat and the lock, or sometimes pursued by fox hunters. All these peculiarities are facets of Greater Britain which still fascinate me today. "Henley" is but a nostalgic watercolor of a long ago youth, in Britain, far from home, yet, strangely, at home. 

I won't start at the beginning, nor the end, but rather skip around to whatever strikes my fancy of the day. One of the recurring themes, and photo bombs, is that of the LNS, aka, the Loch Ness Monster, Nessie. It was started before Covid became the new reality, but as Covid slashed across the globe, stopping my plans to revisit the country of my youth, it became clear that a metaphor could be made to the "Bug" and to Nessie, who sometimes stampedes about creating havoc to the denizens of Greater Britain. 

Britain invented the railway. Before the genius of Stephenson and son, there were the Devonshire collier track ways. Again, the railway did not arrive in Henley until June 1, 1857, thirty years after the Manchester and Liverpool. But, the timeless, and aged, architecture of Britain permits one to roll back the clock as one pleases by simply removing anachronisms like autobuses, and the like, and replacing them with horses, buggies, and wagons. It is with such intent, that "Henley" time travels about from a mythical rail existence from 1827 to 1967, by such means. 

As the medieval period is of no small fascination, I have installed a jousting tournament replete with spectators in Edwardian costume overlooking a re-enactment of this remarkable event. It gives rise to a bustling tourist industry of holiday goers desperately seeking Nessie, as well as those wishing to see knights clashing inside ancient castle walls. 

Other things, such as the Waterloo Stables, closely resemble the riding stables where my older sister took her riding lessons, although we are clearly not in Belgium. In sum, "Henley" is a synthesis of pleasant British memories and a few of those aspects of Greater Britain that stroll the fertile fields of my imagination. 

The fly photo bomb in this video is a satirical metaphor as to how the nasty little Bug going around, Covid, has cramped travel plans, and mine, to tour Britain, by rail, of course. You may spot Electrotren Spanish coaches whirling around, and this was because at the time there were no suitable 4 wheel coaches that I was aware of (Hornby has recently released a fabulous assortment). North Americans, sorry, do not well distinguish that Greater Europe is a land of many railways and gauges, so anything with a buffer is much the same to them. Plus, I really like Electrotren and try to squeeze them in where ever I might. 

I should also warn you, that in addition to folk art, I am passionate about folk music. A few good souls have allowed how this is vexing to them, much like the sound of a dentist's drill, and would I kindly omit it for the sake of their sanity. Sorry, I enjoy finding obscure artists, in this case Russian, who have a brilliant sound and are not allowed entry into the world stage. After buying the music on iTunes, I then add it on to my videos in vain hope they might achieve a slightly wider audience. I also adore the Celtic street band, "Clanadonia," so be sure to hit the mute button, for that one. 

In any event, gentle reader, please know that I am red, white and blue Anglophile, who admires the extraordinary contributions of Britain, its monarchy, its civility (it feted early aborigines whilst other nations enslaved them), and most deeply, as a former soldier, its barricade against the advances of fascism and communism. Does Britain have Her quandries, of course She does, but that is a family matter, not mine. And, She always strives to improve.  More, alas poor Yorik, to come. 

Edited by Chops
Correction
  • Like 2

Dawn of a New Age

The invention of the practical flue boiler in steam locomotion transformed the world. This piece is Hornby's recent release of the Rocket. Unlike its Triang predecesor, this one is a scale gem (Triang's version was closer to Sn3), and while charming, it had two speeds: full on and full off. This creation is a whole new thing, it is scale, DCC ready, and you can see for yourself how sweetly she picks her way across points without  the least hesitation. Pricey, yes, but in my view, worth every farthing. To say I love this piece would be an understatement. 

The Covid "Bug" makes her appearance, as it, too, is the Dawn of a New Age. 

Edited by Chops
Punctuation

Lions

And sometimes I just like to run trains. This particular song, by Britain's Dire Straits, is haunting and lyrical. To me, it evokes the ambiance of commuters ensconced in safe trains rolling home to the warmth of home and hearth. Appearing on the B side, it never got the approbation it deserved. 

I've worked in medical much over half my life, and the sinister threat of the unknown, here the whimsical Nessie-as-Covid Virus is always lurking in the back of my mind. The song is of a young woman making her way home through empty London streets, uneasy in her solitude. How often we feel that way, now, our sense of relative security forever vanquished. 

Edited by Chops
Add attachment

In a Rush, Take the Bus

It is enjoyable to try different angles in shooting a video. For this one, I filmed it only using sound effects, to see how that felt.  

There is no particular theme here, the title is one that came to mind from my eldest daughter's role in a church play where she played a camel at Bethlehem, where the lyrics were, "poor us, poor us, next time just take the bus, or a cab, it's not so bad." Having but rarely owned a quality, low speed capable locomotive until recently, the Bachmann Duke Dog and Hornby T9 were acquired. I must pause to note that I do not normally endorse Bachmann, they've made a mixed reputation for themselves by making beautiful models with horrid motoring and transmissions. The Duke Dog, reviewed by Sam's Train's Trains, stirred me to buy one, and it is fabulous, but see for yourself. The T9, also reviewed by Sam's, is outstanding in every regard (but it is not a heavy hauler, but no matter, British trains are often short). 

They run so slowly, in fact, I was amused by the idea that the public, if in need of haste, might prefer the bus. 

Having tried that, I repeated it with a sound track of a Medieval Italian Renaissance dance tune, which I like for its slow, rhythmic pace. By adding a music sound track, one can alter the sensation of seeing any given event, whether it be this or Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols.

Same video, different sound track:

Catching the Train: 1857

I decided early on that if I was going to run things in a circle, then I wanted them to do something, other than chase their tails. I found my answer quickly in the form of the diamond railway crossing. One has to pay smart attention, or things will bounce off each other. While I strive to avoid it, a moment's inattention while fumbling with camera can lead to a collision. Fortunately, the large buffer bars prevent damage. 

The Titville Thunderbolt

Frequently, I want the trains to tell a story, as well as doing something. The trick is to cram it into three or four minutes, and make it varied enough so as not to murder the audience. Here, the classic British film is borrowed for inspiration; there is frequently a tension between the need to improve efficiency, and the yearnig of nostalgia. 

Where's Nessie?

Britain abounds with legends, and the Loch Ness Monster is one of my favorites, and it's been around for centuries, starting with a legendary dragon that guarded this particular loch. In the 1970's, with the pseudo-documentary film, "Chariots of the Gods," there was a renewed flurry of interest, culminating in a determined scientific expedition to capture her on film. Eventually, a murky photograph of something that looked like a fin was obtained, and the fascination became fever pitched. In 1927, a British surgeon on holiday photographed the iconic image of a plesiosauras-like creature bobbing in the mist; it was later explained to be a gag, but for a while  was held as proof-positive. In fact, it was a duck decoy. The problem with sightings of Yeti, Big Foot, and Nessie is that, with or without a good glass of Madeira, is that they are always just out of sight. So this video explores the amusing proposition that she is always lurking around the corner, as holiday goers, keen on catching a glimpse, keep missing her. If they would only just turn around!

Edited by Chops
spelling

See More of Britain

Inspired by the British Rail advertisement, "We're Getting There." One of the funniest television adverts I've ever seen.  It was so popular that Hornby made a "Police DMU," for a little while. I'd love to get my hands on one. There is this deep irony in British humor that is exquisite. Also, it is fun to use clip art, to liven things up. Sound effects can be downloaded for free on many sites, and easily added to any production. In this case, it is the sound of celery being eaten. At this point, I recollect, the Covid bug was gaining traction, and is thus represented by the metaphorical housefly, or "bug." Like the festering, simmering pandemic, Nessie lurks in Stonehenge. 

Puff the Bamburg Dragon

Assisted by my then 13 year old daughter, who also painted many of the medieval figures. Thank goodness, for that, I'd have rotted the job. Later, I settled on "Henley," as it became apparent that I was seeking to model memories of personal experiences of Britain. Castle Bamburg, a very interesting site, roughly resembles this castle. 

Return of Henley

The Heljan Deltic was most pleasing- for about an hour, until all the gears simultaneously split and turned into texture of crumpled saltines. Unable to find a repair, it was an easy Franklin down the drain. I will not touch Heljan ever again. Little photo bombs of Nessie crop up here and there. 

Whistling in the Dark

As a medical guy, I am baffled by the resistance to the Covid vaccine. It isn't a magic bullet, but it is a whole lot better than nothing, Thus, the expression, "whistling in the dark," comes to mind. The ostrich-like hope that by ignoring the problem, nothing bad will happen. The train derailment at the end was not planned, but made a suitable finale. 

Electrifying Developments in Olive Oil Distribution

A vintage Hornby Electra leads a rake of vintage parcel vans, whilst a Lima Italian Electric hauls Electrotren wagons. For decades I vainly searched for the original Electrotren Olive Oil Amphorae Wagons, so I was forced to concoct my own, using ceramic beads instead. Then, in rapid succession I located two of the original wagons I feverishly sought!

The Lima piece was purchased from some Chinese for of Amazon outfit called Ali Baba, or something, after I saw it featured on Sam's Trains. For 30 BPS it was a bargain. It is really well put together, and is a delight to run. 

I am aware that pantographs are typically only used with the rear unit deployed, but I like them. Also, BTW, the Pennsylvania Railroad would raise both in icy weather, the lead unit acting as an ice scraper. I've thought about installing catenary, at no small expense, but what holds me back is that it will make track cleaning very troublesome, and it will cramp my style if I wish to run pre-1930's non-electrification. So, air catenary remains, for now. 

Ladies in Search of Nessie

Pre-Covid, the inspiration was taken from the pseudo-documentary series with Leonard Nimoy. I was using the bug, here, as an alternative photo bomb to Nessie. Again, however, the relationship between Nessie sightings and alcohol consumption, is underscored by the Poxy Blaggards cover of an old drinking tune: "New York Girls."

A couple of old Airfix coaches are pressed into service. The couplers, as installed, derailed constantly, so using a bit of chain, as in the prototype, fixed the issue. I always like the image of a tiny British locomotive contrasted with the hulking coaches. 

How to Spot the Loch Ness Monster

Just frivolity here, pre-Covid. Some Electrotren pieces and an open air tourist coach of Chops's Loch Ness Monster Tours, somewhat like a land based whale watching excursion. Alcohol induced Nessie sightings is parodied, here. 

Things to Do in Henley

In this one I was spoofing travelogues. Covid not really on my mind, on a lighter note. Also, I wanted to see how close I could do close ups with a smart phone. Better than my old digital camera and video camera. 

Queasy Rider

A spoof on documentaries celebrating the advances of British rail over the centuries.

Edited by Chops
Correction]]]]

The Shrouds of Henley

For a long time I tended to rely on used, and vintage, OO. This summer I got a little pay boost and splurged a bit on some top shelf British items. Shrouding is a rather curious concept. With the tram locomotive, by Rapido, it was done perhaps, as the prototype paralleled country lanes, and the idea was to avoid frightening livestock. With the Dapol DMU the idea was to prevent curious onlookers, like myself, from falling into the wheels. Nessie appears in the finale, with a Worry Doll in her mouth; Covid is never far from my mind.