Henley 1827 to 1967: Memories, Reflections, a Bit of Humor

Chops

The Shrouds of Henley

For a long time I tended to rely on used, and vintage, OO. This summer I got a little pay boost and splurged a bit on some top shelf British items. Shrouding is a rather curious concept. With the tram locomotive, by Rapido, it was done perhaps, as the prototype paralleled country lanes, and the idea was to avoid frightening livestock. With the Dapol DMU the idea was to prevent curious onlookers, like myself, from falling into the wheels. Nessie appears in the finale, with a Worry Doll in her mouth; Covid is never far from my mind.

Electric Holiday

In sharp contrast to North American model rail,  Britains frequently have a propensity of passenger serve. This is rather charming, and reflects the closer relationship many British enjoy with passenger service. A parody of travelogues, the pantograph would normally be down in the third rail locomotive, but I like pantographs. 

Hornby T9 and Peckett Come to Henley

So, recently got a small bump in pay, and using Sam's Trains Review as my guide, I picked up these two Hornby pieces. They exceed expectation. BTW, Hornby ships free to the USA for orders over $70.

Night Mail

Using a British docu-trailer for inspiration. 

Or some good old Celtic street music:

There's an imbedded pun in here, but I'd rather not go into it on a public forum. PM if curious. 

Edited by Chops
Add attachment

In the Gallery

From time to time, people ask why I post these annoying sound tracks with the videos. Couple of reasons, one is that I love folk music, and so much of it never gets a broader audience because it doesn't fit "in the gallery" of repertoire dictated by those who pull the strings. This remarkable song is from the B side of a Dire Straights album, and it reflects on that loss. 

Additionally, before the age of digital communications, and forums like RMWeb, model railroaders were often a fairly isolated lot. Getting published in a glossy is next to impossible, and in the one time that I did get an article published in one, about micro layouts, it was plagiarized! 

Dam's Train Review

In purchasing British range from overseas, the main peril is getting stuck with junk. Hate to say it, but quality control ranges from superb to rubbish across the British range, a noticeable exception being Rapido, which only turns out the best of the best. 

Having been stung a number of times, I now rely upon Sam's Train Review on YouTube. Some do not care for him, as he runs his trains upon carpet, or some other things, but my experience is that his analysis (he is never gifted anything, he spends his own money) of model trains, primarily British, a smattering of American, is just about as close to infallible as I would ever hope to find. I only buy model trains, now, after seeing what Sam has to say about it. 

This video, shot after a long night shift, rang up over 8,000 views within four months, much to my surprise. I had been up all night on a night shift, and the whole thing was cobbled together hastily. 

Here's to you, Sam!