Oh no not another one! stabling point!

A1X

yes to quote the great Bob symes  " Oh no not another one" yes i am adding yet another oo gauge stabling point to the world  . although i hope its far from the norm as i cant seem to find lots off dcc sound class 66s or drs 37s to put on all at once ! :jester:

i have a large range on interests in the railway world but  my main one seems to be a love of green diesels and that period that seldom seems to be modelled of post steam -pre tops  diesels and even though it was about 30 years before i was born i adore it.  so what to do with no space for a large layout atm and an old sms Christmas tree box layout , and a few spare bits and bobs . the answer appears when reading any of mr mortimore's  excellent threads i am yet to think of a name for it yet as its somewhat of a floating location to allow all sorts of locos to be run tho the eastern around London seems to be a favorite .  so the layout is 110cm x 22cm and DC (none of that dcc , good old hm duette) its all still a work in progress so please keep that in mind . 

F8D288EB-4DC8-420D-BD18-0E861031FB96.jpeg

D3AE9AAF-C7F5-478F-AF41-AE4E248A5FC3.jpeg

A6CCA801-F2A0-4DCD-8273-C226BBDCEC41.jpeg

B7AB43BF-0903-44F8-9EF4-3FE74DE83382.jpeg

DD5274C6-04D3-4062-96E2-FF80C74E2D0F.jpeg

74C3C1A2-4948-48C0-964A-509D2FDB7C9E.jpeg

Edited by A1X
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

It may be just another stabling point but it is very nice, and very well modelled.

Also being set in the green period is different from the many modern image layouts.

I also have built a stabling point I the same period called “Margaret Street” over the last lockdown period.

By the way I also live in Stone, Staffs

Terry 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Suffolk Dave said:

Lovely scenics and nice placement Buddleia. Where did you get them from?

they are "n gauge " apparently from jtt i have stuck two together or on top to better replicate the real-life versions .

8 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Nice work - I've been guilty as charged once or twice too.

Can smell the industry if you know what I mean.

PECO backscene looks well.

thanks yes hopefully a bill board will hide some of the daft names . yeah sort of a dusty steel smell . 

9 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

It may be just another stabling point but it is very nice, and very well modelled.

Also being set in the green period is different from the many modern image layouts.

I also have built a stabling point I the same period called “Margaret Street” over the last lockdown period.

By the way I also live in Stone, Staffs

Terry 

ayup tel ,thanks excellent , tis James from the shop . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Very nice layout / stabling point developing here and as been said green period which isn’t modelled that often. Don’t make apologise for it being another stabling point to many of us locos are the main area of interest and a layout like this shows them off in all their glor:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looks good, excellent use of the space. I can't help thinking sound would bring it to life, if you could de synchronise the sound from loco movement, so locos rev up before they move,  unlike most DCC sound where speed and revs seem inextricably linked

Edited by DCB
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCB said:

Looks good, excellent use of the space. I can't help thinking sound would bring it to life, if you could de synchronise the sound from loco movement, so locos rev up before they move,  unlike most DCC sound where speed and revs seem inextricably linked

i agree , ive thought of adding a cheap mp3 player to the underside but thats a little way off atm . 

• RMweb Gold

Good modelling is good modelling whatever the form, period, or scale, and this is good modelling.  It is well presented, and plausible; the choice of an SP involved in cross-London transfer traffic is clever, and allows a very varied biodiversity.  Apart from Deltics, Claytons, the re-engined NB class 29s, and Metrovicks, and perhpas the D600 Warships and the privately owned prototypes, pretty much everything that you found in your Ian Allan Diesel Locomotives could put legitimately put in an appearance.  And the E6000 electrodiesels.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Good modelling is good modelling whatever the form, period, or scale, and this is good modelling.  It is well presented, and plausible; the choice of an SP involved in cross-London transfer traffic is clever, and allows a very varied biodiversity.  Apart from Deltics, Claytons, the re-engined NB class 29s, and Metrovicks, and perhpas the D600 Warships and the privately owned prototypes, pretty much everything that you found in your Ian Allan Diesel Locomotives could put legitimately put in an appearance.  And the E6000 electrodiesels.

thanks it means a lot  , yeah that was the thinking as we have  got pretty much most of the locos needed the prototypes will appear but only as we have them . 

Not much has happened on the layout completion wise but i have been working on a few bits of stock for the layout ,

firstly this Parkside ply 12 ton van still needs a few bits and bobs to finish .

Then ive been weathering up this snow plow now i am unsure if any ever made it to London but my excuse is that its rule 1 and i like it plus being a stabling point not much stock is needed so the odd item here and there adds to the interest , like i will be making up some sludge tenders and a carriage heating loco when i can source a cheap replica B1.

i have also thought of a name , Luxton i know its supposed to be somewhere in Essex ,but to my untrained northern  t'ear it sounds like it could be an area of east London . 

I have also been thinking of making another bridge to be able to swap them but have two 4th rail LT lines over head ( no not an excuse for some nice LT red panniers or bo-bo-s) ! 

any feed back is always most appreciated .

556E662D-5D11-4B61-8A7D-F7DD59CEBADA.jpeg

10CCCF3C-5F50-4616-A3C7-679F1931038B.jpeg

EEAD7AD2-09A8-45C9-80B3-872BDFD8B4B4.jpeg

3E28F52F-DF4A-4E0B-99DE-F64C07A9989F.jpeg

Edited by A1X
Adding pictures
  • Like 6

I wouldn't worry too much about it being "another stabling point". I thought that when I built mine (Hendre Lane) some 10 years or so back.
But of course - it was MY version of a stabling point, and I wasn't really looking to please anyone else - I just wanted somewhere to run my then new locos, and to experiment with DCC sound and LED yard lighting etc.

As if justification was needed when I built it, my thoughts were - "if people said the same 10 years ago, about country branch line termini - then two thirds of layouts would never have been built!" ..... or something like that.

The fact is, you have chosen a less-modelled time period, and have built something that's a slightly different design & concept - so it's a winner IMO. Also, you have built quite a lot into a small space - it's cramped - but it's cramped "by design", and looks quite prototypical of several urban yards. Nice :) 

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2