PIKO Smartcontrol light - using two handsets?

Ruston

Afternoon all,

I have the above control system and it is supposed to be able to run a second handset. It has two "Loconet" ports in the back of the base station. When I plug in a second handset to the spare port it doesn't do anything. The screen doesn't even light up. I can find nothing in the instruction book relating to using a second handset, so does anyone know how to make it work?

Thanks

As its a re-badged Uhlenbrock Daisy....  

The ports on the back are a LocoNet-B and a LocoNet-T port.  B=Booster, T=Throttle.   The difference between B and T being in two of the six wires.  In a "B" it carries a duplicate of the DCC track signal (required by some devices, including Boosters).  In the "T" it carries a DC current to power a handset (or other device).    So, plugging a throttle into the "B" socket directly won't work as there is no power to run the throttle.  

To run two throttles, two approaches: 

a)   Might work - get a splitter to divide the LocoNet-T into two, and use that.   May not work if there is insufficient current available from the base unit. 

b)   Does work (because I've done it for Uhlenbrock Daisy's).   

A Digitrax UP5 (about £15) plus a DC power supply to give power to the UP5. That power goes to the front sockets of the UP5, so they are LocoNet-T sockets.   

Rear socket of the UP5 connects to the LocoNet-B on the base unit (leaving one spare rear socket on the UP5 to extend the LocoNet-B onwards). 

Front sockets of the UP5 for two throttles (plus the remaining LocoNet-T socket on the Uhlenbrock/Piko base unit).     

(NB. the manual for the Digitrax UP5 is usually wrong on the 5th side-socket being powered or not, I can't remember which way that socket is actually wired.  Could plug a throttle in to find out...  ).   

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Thanks for the reply, Nigel. I'll try the Digitrax thing. Do you know what voltage power supply is needed or is there a special unit available as the power supply?

Probably 12v DC from memory, with a pretty standard barrel connector.  Consult the Digitrax manual for the UP5 for the details, or ask a supplying dealer.  If the main online sources don't have a Digitrax UP5, an email or call to Sunningwell Command Control might get you one (they often have stock, but don't do internet sales in a big way).  

The UP5 may work without the DC power if the rear connection goes to the LocoNet-T on the base-unit.  Depends how much voltage is lost through the diodes inside the UP5, and then if there is enough power left for two Daisy handsets.   

- Nigel

19 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Probably 12v DC from memory, with a pretty standard barrel connector.  Consult the Digitrax manual for the UP5 for the details, or ask a supplying dealer.  If the main online sources don't have a Digitrax UP5, an email or call to Sunningwell Command Control might get you one (they often have stock, but don't do internet sales in a big way).  

The UP5 may work without the DC power if the rear connection goes to the LocoNet-T on the base-unit.  Depends how much voltage is lost through the diodes inside the UP5, and then if there is enough power left for two Daisy handsets.   

- Nigel

According to Uhlenbrock, a Daisy2 throttle consumes 25mA.  The Loconet T has an output of 500mA, so there should be plenty of power.

• 6 months later...