Catenary post and overhead wire positioning over turnouts for RhB

Talbotjohn

Hi

I have been trying to make progress with installing catenary on my small RhB layout. I have been reading the Sommerfeldt Manual but I find the the information about how to set out overhead wires and single catenary posts over turnouts a bit limited. I understand the idea of how the diverging overhead wire is pulled off and tensioned but I am not sure how the crossing wires are attached to the modern RhB post over the switch section of the turnout. I attach a photo (don't know why it is upside down sorry) of how I think it could be done but my knowledge of the prototype is limited in this area. I wonder if anyone has tackled this area already and can tell me how it should be done with workable examples please.

IMG_5740.JPG.093d5dbe4da5cf2f05f484525050d2da.JPG

• RMweb Premium

What you have done looks good to me, good reference source for this detail is via streetview - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.6520899,9.7227126,2a,75y,192.21h,98.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smgym55qrFcfdDatmlMVe4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB you can see the tensioner set back as you have leading to mast at the point centre and diverging lines OHP  from there.

Thanks Jim and Gordon. I feel much more positive and encouraged by your replies. Time to get the soldering iron, pliers and Xuron cutters out! What I really need to buy or make is a 5.5mm (7/32") box spanner long enough to make tightening the nuts on the Sommerfeldt masts a lot less fiddly!

• Like 2