Shooting model railway @4k with Runcan 2 4K matchbox camera on class 55 chassis

Ducking Giraffe

After trying all sorts of weird and wonderful solutions to shoot model railway  video videos, including a Canon 5D Mk2, (not enough depth of field, can't go on a wagon ha ha) a Canon Ixus 265 (small but wifi app completely useless)  and a couple of bogie wagons with a lego bridge between them to support a Canon Legria camcorder (no, seriously!), I've settled on a Runcam 2 4K last October and it's a real sweetie. 

The Runcam 2 4K is way better than the similar looking HD Mobious in that it shoots at 4k and has a decent app for a viewfinder. 
The four best features of the Runcam 2 4K are:

1. 4K resolution
2 .Wifi control via an app, including live realtime viewfinder,
3. Changeable field of view
4. And most importantly you can cut the glue that holds the lens mount thread so you can change the focus from about 1m to 20cm or less! The problem of depth of field will always be there as you can't control the aperture to stop down to f32 or something, but it's a start. I just have to keep adjusting the focus depending on what I'm shooting.

The Hornby class 55 chassis makes an excellent shooting platform, using wagons gave rubbish bumpy  results.

I'm having the best fun in ages , what with the smoke machine and fancy digital effects. One day I swear i will finish the video I've had planned for years, but for the moment I'm having too much fun seeing what I can push things to.  

I've done a review on Youtube here: 

Looks best full screen on a 27" monitor, but still doesn't really show the excellent quality of 4k. If you want to skip to some shot actual footage it starts at about 06:10. 

Edited by Ducking Giraffe
update

• Ducking Giraffe changed the title to Shooting model railway @4k with Runcan 2 4K matchbox camera on class 55 chassis