Interlaken OST ho

railway gun

I’ve always thought Interlaken OST would be a good subject for a standard/metre gauge layout, albeit a bit large to model faithfully.

I’m building a HO/HOm layout but my main station will be completely imaginary, with a lakeside location.

I’ll be interested to follow your progress with the canopies. I’ve looked at kits but I’m not sure which to go for. I’m thinking scratchbuilt “modern” for the standard gauge and a more vintage style for the metre gauge, which will be outside the front of the station, similar to Brig and the Arosa line at Chur. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Samedan said:

I’ve always thought Interlaken OST would be a good subject for a standard/metre gauge layout, albeit a bit large to model faithfully.

I’m building a HO/HOm layout but my main station will be completely imaginary, with a lakeside location.

I’ll be interested to follow your progress with the canopies. I’ve looked at kits but I’m not sure which to go for. I’m thinking scratchbuilt “modern” for the standard gauge and a more vintage style for the metre gauge, which will be outside the front of the station, similar to Brig and the Arosa line at Chur. 

Something based on Brienz maybe, there the station is right by the lake and you go across the road to go to the Rothorn Bahn, the Swiss have been doing a lot of modernisation (for accessibility mainly) in recent years so you could find an old station building but with really modern canopies and platforms Wengen for example still has its old station building but it has a massive steel and glass canopy over track 1 adjacent to track 2 and it has goods handling facilities at a lower level and also across from the main platforms. So no reason not to have maybe a lake steamer landing stage next to a modern platform with an older station building and a narrow gauge line the other side.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 19/09/2021 at 09:27, Samedan said:

, which will be outside the front of the station, similar to Brig and the Arosa line at Chur. 

...and Dietikon, Nyon, Aarau, Palezieux, Bex, Biel, Solothurn, Langenthal, Wohlen, Herisau, Frauenfeld

Of course some of the locations on the foregoing list were outside the front at ground level originally but have  since been modernised in some way, often moved underground - in fact thinking about it one could build a mixed HO/HOm layout without having to buy any HOm and just model the underground station entrance   

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2021 at 00:28, Gordonwis said:

Herisau

On 24/09/2021 at 00:28, Gordonwis said:

..and Dietikon, Nyon, Aarau, Palezieux, Bex, Biel, Solothurn, Langenthal, Wohlen, Herisau, Frauenfeld

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check those out. I’ve got a large collection of HOm, so I definitely want to actually model the metre gauge, not just the subway entrance!