Fingal's Halt - OO9 scenic plank to beat the Black Dog - NER station colours & Baguley-Drewry query

Gypsy

Firstly, please excuse the slightly uninspiring track plan. And the concrete hut and skip. IMG_8558.jpg.a5620fa847be473c6b3a2843b4be5318.jpg

This follows a load of surfing this forum and several failed starts, due in large part to the aforementioned canine. I decided a month or so ago to make it as simple as possible in the hope that I would actually get something done. The plan was for an Inglenook set in an MoD training/storage area, hence the current motive power is a 3d printed Baguley-Drewry (currently waiting on the arrival of some green paint).

Life, or rather children, put paid to that idea when the youngest started Googling Harry Potter trains and asking for Goathland. That clearly isn't going to happen given the available time, space, budget and skills so we have compromised on something that could be part of that particular milieu but will allow me to foucus on what calms me - painting and scenery.

The idea then, is an imaginary mine located in Fingal's Cave in the Hebrides (or something like it). That gives me scope for grotty track, the aforementioned halt, cliffs and water - all in the space of an A3 sheet, so hopefully small enough to maintain focus.

Many, many thanks to @NHY 581 for his weathered wood tutorial - which I have shamlessly cribbed for the platform halt. I've also drawn on his ideas for painting/weatheringthe track although there is a fair bit more practice needed there I think.

My question, having bought the Wills Halt kit to bash (slightly) is the height. Clearly it is designed for OO, so to my eyes is far too high for lowly OO9 stock. If the track is elevated as per the second pic though it looks rather better to me - but is that 'right'??? If so, I'm tempted to 'wrap' the legs in planking textured plasticard rather then have them half burried in ballast. Would that work????

Thanks for looking at my ramblings and take care,

Gyp

IMG_8559.jpg

Edited by Gypsy
  • Like 6

Most small NG railways have platforms at rail-head height or a little above, but it depends a bit what is intended to happen at this platform.

Try posing a scale person against the wagon, and you will see that for many tasks of lifting and shifting, their work will be most comfortable, less stooping, if they stand on the ground or at railhead height. It’s only when it comes to heavy things like milk churns, which have to be ‘walked’, that a higher platform becomes useful.

Here’s one with a platform between SG and NG for transhipping goods, the Southwold Railway, platform and tracks set to be at floor level for both sides.

2E16FE7B-D2A3-43D5-A515-E0C83A6E9B80.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is where the children, keeping the peace (and rule 1) come in.

Its a mine and wagons will be unloaded further down the track (off scene for now at least) but I have been told that there is a need for some kind of red engine à la Hogwarts Castle/Olton Hall. Once again, that ain't going to happen but I do quite fancy making something small to pull a little inspection car should anyone from the Ministry/smallest bedroom pay a visit. That means I need somewhere for the passenger(s) to alight a one or possibly two car train.

Not exactly prototypical I know, but that's not what this little set up is about.

Sorry if the mail wagon caused any confusion - its the only thing I have that has the door at the rough same height as a OO9 passenger coach.

Edited by Gypsy

• Gypsy changed the title to Fingal's Halt - OO9 scenic plank to beat the Black Dog

A bit of light terraforming and we have a lower platform.

Bit of a disaster with the painting of the platform sides, a new Humbol black wash was pretty much solid matt black - fortunately srubbing with a bit of thinners brought it back somewhat. Still too dark? and does it need a (very) light green wash given the supposed maritime environment?

The other bit is the waiting shelter floor. Another disaster there - I felt it needed a slight sheen of polish so dropped on some satin wash rather than putting it on the brush. That has led to the two 'stains'. Initially I though 'oh hell', or words to that effect, but on reflection I quite like it as it has the effect of an old stain polished over. Dissenting views welcome!

Wood work again shamlessly cribbed from @NHY 581 's tutorial.

IMG_8563.jpg

• Like 2

• Gypsy changed the title to Fingal's Halt - OO9 scenic plank to beat the Black Dog - Baguley-Drewry query

A slightly cruel close-up of the trackwork weathering so far - glad this is not a quadruple line roundy-roundy!!! More work on the sleepers needed, then some rust weathering powder on the tracks before the ballast...

Does anyone know if the indentation in the Baguley-Drewry's bonnet should be there? I can't find any pics online looking down on a real one! Also I presume the one on the cab roof is for a hazard beacon - does anyone make one in OO/4mm???

IMG_8564.jpg

• Like 5

• Gypsy changed the title to Fingal's Halt - OO9 scenic plank to beat the Black Dog - NER station colours & Baguley-Drewry query

Been playing around with the station colours - I followed the guidance on stationcolours.com for the NER but the ivory seems far too yellow to me and the red/brown not red enough...

I do quite like the faded paint on the boat though...

Still not sure whether to fill the dent on the bonnet - anyone?

IMG_8574.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 21/09/2021 at 16:27, Gypsy said:

Been playing around with the station colours - I followed the guidance on stationcolours.com for the NER but the ivory seems far too yellow to me and the red/brown not red enough...

I do quite like the faded paint on the boat though...

Still not sure whether to fill the dent on the bonnet - anyone?

IMG_8574.jpg

The dent wasn't to position the chimney was it? Is that the fuel filler cap just in front of the windscreen?

Just trying to think of a logical reason for it to be there. Otherwise I'd leave it if it was me. But if you don't think it looks right to your eye then it can always be filled.