Can you identify this coupling?

Evening all!

I have bought a kit of the Welshpool and Llanfair Loco "The Earl" but it is not a very accurate kit, and I'm looking to improve it. The biggest single thing would be to replace the lump of metal pretending to be the coupling with a replica of the real thing, if possible.  I have checked the Wiki article on couplings and I did not find mention of it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Capture.JPG.8071b3b505c2920f020b51a8094a4325.JPG

• RMweb Premium

I assume that chains are used to couple on the real thing ?

For a model, if you;re never going to couple it then I guess some sort of sprung buffer (or just a buffer, depending on the scale). Having something that looks like the prototype is great for appearance, but the engines on the welshpool work in both directions so you'll be limited in what you can do (unless this is a really large scale where you can actually use chains).

For 009 or HOe, Bosna couplers ('Bemo' or 'European' - typically without the loop on the loco) are sort-of close.

• Like 1

A screw coupling goes over the top of the buffers and locates in the hook on the "Buffer shank."   When not in use the screw coupling is removed rather than being left to dangle in the way standard gauge UK screw couplers do.

Not really something you can make work in a model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

For a model, if you;re never going to couple it then I guess some sort of sprung buffer (or just a buffer, depending on the scale). Having something that looks like the prototype is great for appearance, but the engines on the welshpool work in both directions so you'll be limited in what you can do (unless this is a really large scale where you can actually use chains).

For 009 or HOe, Bosna couplers ('Bemo' or 'European' - typically without the loop on the loco) are sort-of close.

The chains are safety hooks. They would attach to a loop on the carriage in case the coupling snapped. More for the safety of the passengers than anything.

If you look at many pre-grouping locomotives they also had them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iangater/17163085147/

Jason

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Yeah, they have a screw link, which is sat next to the smoke box when not in use.

As for the loco, it is going to sit on a Well Wagon, as I am recreating Rocket 150 from 1980.

Edited by Esmedune
Typo

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The chains are safety hooks. They would attach to a loop on the carriage in case the coupling snapped. More for the safety of the passengers than anything.

If you look at many pre-grouping locomotives they also had them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iangater/17163085147/

Jason

They are redundant with this coupler as they aren't long enough to reach the coaches.   I suspect the original was a chopper coupler like the FR etc and much shorter but lacking any real "give" hence the change to the Sierra Leone coupler.

17 hours ago, DCB said:

They are redundant with this coupler as they aren't long enough to reach the coaches.   I suspect the original was a chopper coupler like the FR etc and much shorter but lacking any real "give" hence the change to the Sierra Leone coupler.

They were bell and hook couplings before this.

• Informative/Useful 1