IRISH RAILWAYS LINE BY LINE - VOLUME 1

kirley

"Railway photographer Jim Edgar has put together in this book a collection of his photos of Irish railways between 1974 and 2008. A wide range of passenger and goods trains feature, ranging from wooden bodied stock to modern air braked and air conditioned trains, and from loose coupled wagons to bogie liner freight trains.  There is coverage of long closed lines including the Burma Road (Claremorrris to Collooney), Athenry to Claremorris, Mullingar to Athlone and branches to Ardee, Kingscourt, Silvermines and Loughrea.  Locos include the classes A (001), B (121 141, and 181), C (first 201 class), E and the second 201 class. "

242071668_4379014202163935_5588372481453458416_n.jpg.325bf2e4d204e5abeeab27685ce75666.jpg

So he finally got around to finishing it, can be got via his Web Site www.markle.co.uk or the RPSI Shop https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/shop?fbclid=IwAR1x0yGGqAAQLx5vfTBWpvV9FBmgJ5MJoXYmNloLjJJh-a_uLzZ-u3ESalc

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Received my copy of this book at the weekend and it is definitely a must for Irish railway followers and modellers, especially from an era that has long since passed into the memory.

And that is what this book does, brings back the memories of a real railway era. The 100 odd photos, all taken by the author and not reproduced in other books, are really good, but the comments that accompany each photo not only bring the photo to life, but they reflect the working railway as it was.

All the photos are numbered and one that particularly caught my eye was 64, where a British Rail 20ft Freightliner container at Loughrea was having it’s cargo hand balled onto a flat bed lorry!

Great photos also for the modeller. With the forthcoming A class, having myself been brought up beside Adelaide freight yard, I was used to seeing them hauling either large freight trains from there or on the Enterprise between Belfast and Dublin.

So it was a novelty to see them at the head of some short goods and passenger trains and not even in the twilight of their lives, but in their days soon after being re-engined!

A highly recommended book 

• Like 1

Received my copy yesterday. For a 1960's ex-GNR lines man, I purely wanted the ex-GNR material. However I found this whole book extremely interesting. I was fascinated by the amount of "old" stuff that was still knocking around in sidings in the mid 1970's. There is so much material in this book that can justify "modeller's licence" for anyone planning a layout. Large diesel engines hauling a single coach or a few goods wagons. An 80 class NIR liveried set in Galway! That one was news to me.

Great photographs with VERY informative captions. Personal favorite, the  black & white photo of Dromin Junction...

If seeking to model the CIE railway scene between 1975 and 2000, buy his book now...

• Like 1

Working my way through this delightful book. I love the write ups beside each picture, it's just like listening to Jim describing his visit with all those little details heavy on each page. It would only be Jim who would slip a word like 'bifurcated ' into the text.

Edited by kirley
typo
  • Like 1