Longest direct journey between 2 close stations.

• RMweb Premium

The Newcastle Metro has a couple of interesting options if changes aren't allowed:

• Haymarket to Monument = 5 minute walk or an hour on the Metro if you go the long way round
  • St James - Haymarket = 8 minute walk or about an hour on the Metro
  • North Shields to South Shields is either a 24 min walk/ferry, or an hour and five minutes on the Metro

Steven B.

• Like 3

On 17/09/2021 at 18:21, Nearholmer said:

But, it’s a not insignificant stroll (an hour walk according to the TfL website, although that does seem a bit slow to me) from London Bridge to Victoria, so do they fit the “two stations close together” criterion?

it's only a three mile walk, and surely three miles counts as two stations close together?

23 minutes ago, bimble said:

it's only a three mile walk, and surely three miles counts as two stations close together?

I suppose it is all a question of scale,  it is about three miles from Liverpool St to Paddington, so by that definition all stations on the circle line and the underground contained within would be close together, no matter how far apart they are.

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bimble said:

Ah, but the original challenge specifies "very close", not just "close".

(That should initiate a six hundred post debate about what constitues "very close". IMO, the answer depends on several factors, such as whether or not its raining, and if so, how hard, and whether you have a huge suitcase to carry, and whether there is a steep hill to climb.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a few round the houses runs in Birmingham in the past, mainly on local services such as Wolverhampton to Walsall.

For a main line train in the early 1970s you could do Oxford to Didcot via Banbury, Birmingham, and Worcester.

Another oddity was to save reversal and changing locos the Poole - Newcastle train used to run via Solihull into New Street, leaving via Bournville, the Lifford Curve and Camp Hill. It travelled the line between Bordesley Junction and St Andrews Junction twice in the same direction just under an hour apart.

• Like 1

Not quite in the spirit of the thread, but a journey from Pontefract Tanshelf to Pontefract Monkhill via Pontefract Baghill without reversing direction at Baghill would ensure a nice day out. Alas, the ticket websites appear unable to provide a single (or return) ticket for this adventure. Presumably though, this being RMWeb, someone will have attempted it?

4 hours ago, xPrime586 said:

Not quite in the spirit of the thread, but a journey from Pontefract Tanshelf to Pontefract Monkhill via Pontefract Baghill without reversing direction at Baghill would ensure a nice day out. Alas, the ticket websites appear unable to provide a single (or return) ticket for this adventure. Presumably though, this being RMWeb, someone will have attempted it?

Beat me to it! Via Sheffield or York?

15 hours ago, doilum said:

Beat me to it! Via Sheffield or York?

Starting at Tanshelf I guess it would be logical to go to Kirkgate > Westgate > Moorthorpe > Baghill > Church Fenton > Leeds > Castleford > Monkhill. Direct route between Tanshelf and Monkhill  - 1554 metres. I'll get my coat. Apologies for taking the thread off piste.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/09/2021 at 19:12, Jeremy C said:

It can't be done. Kennington loop only runs between the Charing Cross platforms, and in any case is not (officially) a public service.

Will the loop be used at all when Battersea Power Station opens, I wonder. Less than a week to go, so you'd better get in quick if you want a ride round the loop.

I’ve been round the Kennington loop, admittedly it was probably in the cab with the driver